Making choices for school.

Hey chrono i didnt know you were in IB. Im in pre-IB as a sophmore so in a year i guess ill be suffering just as much as you. Thats life in IB i guess, hopefully it makes a big difference in getting into a Uni.

Jwb187;107625 said:
OMG....it is Dr. Steve O'Shea....wow....lol....

Why is it that I never get this reaction from people here at work; they give me such a hard time!

:welcome: Jwb187

K, after much procrastination, I thought I might as well come up with a small list of things I need answered and the school is not very helpful. (Navigating the Internet is not my strong point either, especially not educational websites.)

1) I need a list of 5 Unis (doesn't really matter where it is.) that has a good marine biology course (i.e AUT)

2) Do I need SATs for any particular university in question 1?

A lot of universities have Marine Biology programs and it depends on what area of Marine Biology you want to go into as to which school is the best. If you tell us what area you are interested in I can narrow down the schools that best for that topic. But some generally good MB schools are

Texas A&M at Galveston
University of Maimi
University of Hawaii at Monoa
James Cook University (Australia)

Some schools focus more on fisheries so again it depends on what area you want to focus on. The ones I listed are thought to be good all-around Marine Biology schools but there are a lot of others that are good.

As far as SAT or ACT for U.S. schools you will need it and each school has its own requirements for test grade. I'm not sure what test you need for other countries.

Slightly urgent question, if anyone knows and could tell me, it would really be helpful:

Is an IB Maths Studies instead of a IB Standard Maths course capable of allowing me to go take an Applied Science course or more specifically the Undergrad course for Biodiversity or Marine Ecosystems in AUT?

My good man, don't worry (and I don't understand the acronyms). When you're here you'll end up doing the typical undergrad stuff that will crush your will to live (darned if I'd ever want to do it again!), but you'll also be brought straight into the postgraduate community and will be treated 'rather special'.

There'll be plenty of things in the field and labs to interest you, more so than any other nonsense that you have to learn. Hands on is the only way to learn as far as I am concerned.

Yea, i'm choosing classes for next year as well, but i think i will go for IB Math Studies, just in case. I had not realized that the University of Miami had such a good Marine Biology program. Their campus is about 3 miles from my house. The only thing is that it is pretty pricey so i will have to get a few scholarships in order to be able to attend..

chrono_war01;108992 said:
Slightly urgent question, if anyone knows and could tell me, it would really be helpful:

Is an IB Maths Studies instead of a IB Standard Maths course capable of allowing me to go take an Applied Science course or more specifically the Undergrad course for Biodiversity or Marine Ecosystems in AUT?

Eric, two things - take Steve's advice, and yes, IB math should get you to the science classes you want. The caveat will be your school's idiosyncratic policies on these things. If they give you a hard time, go to the instructor personally and ask for permission based on your education and skills. Your genuine interest will win everyone over! FYI that seems to work for the rest of life, too.

Steve's right, don't worry, you'll be well taken care of and it will be terrific!

Melissa

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back