Lurker saying hello! Finally!

tankgirl527

Hatchling
Registered
silicone IS my friend!

Oh I have got evrything glued down and then some! All my rocks have holes drilled in them and are held together with pvc pipes and lots of silicone.It is actually one giant sculpture! My plenum is siliconed not only to the bottom but the nylon screen is siliconed all the way around the tank and up about an inch under the gravel. Another question for anyone who may see this. Is a forty gallon tank considered a bit small because of enough room for the octopus or because of concerns with water quality? I have been in this hobby a long time and if it is just a matter of water quality then I think I will be okay. I maintain saltwater tanks for a living so I guess you could call me a pro at it! Still no ammonia or nitrites but I am starting to get a slight reading for nitrates already!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
tankgirl527;120931 said:
Is a forty gallon tank considered a bit small because of enough room for the octopus or because of concerns with water quality?

Octane, large hummelincki, is in a 37 gallon tank and it is too small (we bought it as a 45 and only recently realized it was smaller). I have purchased and am still converting a larger tank for him because he does not have enough swimming room. Animal mother has mentioned that his 75 is a bit small for his briareus. The diminutive aculeatus (not considered a dwarf) might not be as cramped and other hummelincki keepers have mentioned that Octane is particularly large.

Since you are not seeing ammonia, I assume you used vinegar based (usually marked aquariuim) silicone. I learned the hard way (fortunately, I only lost a couple of polyps) that there are two kinds and one is ammonia based and should NOT be used in an aquarium.

tankgirl527

Hatchling
Registered
Yeah I used the kind of silicone that Is made by the same company that makes the tank. I don't want a very large species of octopus but I don't want a dwarf one either. A friend of mine had a bimac that he kept in a 45 gallon and he had it for about a year and a half. I thought that that would be the kind that I would get but then was told my tank was too small.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
at a pinch a 45 ( a 40 no) might be Ok for a Bimac but 50 is better, both for waste control and for comfort of the animal. I believe Bimacs are a bit thin on the ground though! (I'm in NZ so they certainly are here :biggrin2: ) So you may have some issues getting one.

J

Latest Posts