• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking for snails for some Octo babies

Hey! I’m relatively new to cephalopod care but currently, have an octopus who laid eggs. She has been sitting on them for about a month and I finally saw an eye spot today.
So, I have found a source for amphipods and copepods online but am looking for some snails. I have a friend who successfully raised some babies on snails but she had someone collect them and ship them to her. Unfortunately, that person has moved and I can't get them that way. She was unsure of the species but they were about an inch big and were black in color. Can anyone help me with sourcing or the best species to buy?

That’s a wonderful species for home aquariums, but unfortunately hard to get today. Where did you get yours?
In addition to snails, bimacs have been raised on baby clams.

Nancy

That’s a wonderful species for home aquariums, but unfortunately hard to get today. Where did you get yours?
In addition to snails, bimacs have been raised on baby clams.

Nancy
Very interesting. Any idea of where to find them? Or a species?
Also, do you think periwinkle snails would work? They are a little pricy but easily found.

:welcome: @howwonderful ! Saltwater shore shrimp make good food when they are big enough to catch them. You can impale them and offer freshly killed to hatchlings. Small live crabs (fiddlers are the easiest to find) will be good too but they need to be bigger than the crab before you can offer them.

You might also contact one of our sponsors, Aquarium Depot to see what they have that might be purchased in bulk to be used as food instead of clean up.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back