• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking for Octopus!(Desperate)

Thanks, I still want to know if that is normal behavior after inking and If I should be alarmed--maybe I'm just being a worried parent. I also want to know how I can definitely tell the difference between a Bimac, Vulg or Briareus octopus. (Hopefully they'll call me about that 55 gallon tank today)

Also, I don't know how big the fiddler crabs are. They said they would be adult size. They get alot of calls to buy fiddler crabs for octopus pets.

Don't get the mysids. They're so tiny that an octopus like yours won't even look at them.

Use some duct tape to cover up the holes. Don't panic yet, leave the little guy alone and let him settle in.

Good luck!

Dan

AprylWillis;79167 said:
The body part (mantle) is 4" and the tentacles are about 3" long.

I just discovered an opening in the lid and I'm afraid we might even have a leak-what is a good concealer that I can immediately apply?

Thanks,
Apryl

You might be able to try frozen raw (gray in color, not pink) shrimp from the fish market. I agree with Dan, your octopus is too big to eat mysids. You could try shore shrimp.

Silicone sealant (aquarium grade) should take care of a leak (at least temporarily...) on the outside of the tank.

The last 24 hours were stressful for your new little guy. He was just wrenched out of his tank, stuffed in a bag, boxed and shipped to you. Keep the lights low, people away and let him adjust to his new surroundings...good luck.

I would like to add our octopus to your list. We have named him:

The Equalizer

It's a male and I'm just taking a guess that he's a vulgaris, but I'm double-checking on google. He's sleeping now and stress-free. We removed some of the bigger rocks so that we can keep an eye on him.

We are taking digital pictures tomorrow and they should be up by evening. He's huge!

Sad news...

Octopus just died. I've only had him for 3 days in the tank.

We think he suffocated by the air bubbles in the back. We were wondering if this could have caused his death, or if he had just been a full grown adult octopus at his last moments. I assume he was a bimac from the pictures. He seemed perfectly fine the last few days and even acted interested in food.

Although, it didn't seem like he would eat. We even provided him with frozen shrimp, fiddler crabs and we even tempted him with hermit crabs. We also followed the acclimation procedures. There were a couple of Damsels in the tank, but we immediately removed them from the aquarium. He seemed less stressed and more active.

Can anyone tell me what could have happened?

My PH is at 8.4, temp is at 75.6, no amonia levels, no nitrates.

We're at our wits end! Are we doing anything wrong?

Sorry to hear that your octopus did not make it. A couple of thoughts for next time. Have a variety of live food available before you get your octopus, that way it doesn't have to wait a few days before a meal. Make sure you get rid of whatever is making bubbles in your tank (aerator?), they can get air bubbles trapped in their mantle. Lastly, I would recommend waiting until your 55 gallon is cycled before ordering another octopus. Your octopus will be happier, and the larger tank will be able to adjust to the enormous amount of waste the octopus will produce.

That said, it may not have been your fault that the octopus did not survive. Some methods of collection use toxic chemicals so your octopus could have been ill and/or stressed from collection. Try not to be too hard on yourself, and you will be better prepared for the next one...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back