Looking for help IDing this little Octopus

simonspear

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all

I'm looking for help IDing this octopus. Below are a couple of frame grabs from some video filmed at Seraya, Tulamben, Bali.

He was very, very small - quite a bit smaller than the nail on my little finger.

Possible suggestions so far have been hairy or algae. I've filmed hairy before and he looks similar to me (untrained eye), but I've never seen one this small before so any additional input would be really appreciated. Many thanks!

octopus1wb.jpg

octopus2wb.jpg

Solution
Looks a bit like Octopus gorgonus described from Tonga. I have never seen it alive myself, examined many dead specimens and the color pattern and papillae are pretty distinct. It appears to be found in Tonga, Moorea, West Papua, and Bali. Nice shot, and happy diving in Tulamben! A favorite spot for sure!
Also being discussed on our FB page and the Octopus Army group page.

The Hairy Octopus was ruled out ("hairs" not long enough and changing patterns); abdopus was also suggested.

Upvote 0
Looks a bit like Octopus gorgonus described from Tonga. I have never seen it alive myself, examined many dead specimens and the color pattern and papillae are pretty distinct. It appears to be found in Tonga, Moorea, West Papua, and Bali. Nice shot, and happy diving in Tulamben! A favorite spot for sure!

Upvote 0
Solution

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back