• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking for bimac!!

yea i saw that but i beleive that they are out of stock and have been for awhile... but thatsnks alot for your help

Nancy said:
Alex, what do you think a good tank size would be for a vulgaris?
Seems like even a 200 gallon tank might be too small.

Hi Nancy,

I'm sure there are others on the forum that are far better qualified than I am about this. OTOH: Lack of expertise has never stopped me before:

I think that a 200 would be sufficient for O. vulgaris if it had a large footprint and mucho filtration. My belief is that most octopuses would be happiest with the maximum amount of horizontal space that can be practically provided. Filtration is the challenge as I see it; it seems that the most common practice for a bimac is to use a 50 gallon tank with filtration sized for a 100 -150 gallon tank. Scaling up for an animal five times as large works out to 500 to 750 gallons worth of skimmers, canisters, etc. I really don't know if it's necessary to go to that much expense. Perhaps someone who has actually kept a vulgaris could chime in with their experiences. [We keep GPO's up to 20 or 30 pounds but, with a flow through system, we've never worried about filtration.]

Proportionally yours,

Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back