• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

looking for a new pet

veinti3

Hatchling
Registered
well recently my 12 inch toadfish died R.I.P. and i am looking for a new pet i have been researching octopus's lately and they seem pretty cool and really smart so i have some Q's 1)what is the smallest species of octopus (2)how big does it get (3) what is its primary food source (4) where can i purchase one over the internet any responces are appreciated

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

I'm not sure that an octopus is the right pet for you at this time - keeping an octpus requires a lot of reading and study as well as arranging food sources and other complications.

Please read the Ceph Care articles (click on the title above) for information on how to keep an octopus. The Tank Owners' Database (under Features above) is worth looking at. Have a look at the threads at the top of Talk Talk (What do you have... and the one on Protein Skimmers) if you want more about equipment.

Read Octopus Availability at the top of the Octopus Care forum for where to buy an octopus. The smallest octopus is some species of dwarf octopus, the most common on the market being O. mercatoris. It will be hard to buy one because the sellers often don't know what species they have.

You'll need small live crabs for food and maybe some frozen shrimp.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back