• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

[Locked]: Controversial thread on low-end ceph keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexfevery

Cuttlefish
Registered
Il try my best now

@ post#23 by sorseress,
I know your not calling me a liar, thats just an expression meaning that your unwilling to consider anything that could change your ways. The chances of sucesss are not slim to none either, If you follow my set up to the letter, 90% chance your octopus will die of old age happy as one has ever been. I implore you to try it before you give a survival chances.

@ post # 24 by Nancy
the tissue boxes I use are 4"x3.5"x3.5" Thats what everybody else uses right?

she almost lived to be 3 1/2, not quite, I think she was 3 months from being 3 1/2, But she did not grow anywhere near the size of Ollie. and I have heard of California 2 spots getting to 3 1/2 quite commonly but they always die soon after.

@post 25 by DHslop
If one got as big as ollie It would not be happy in a 30 gallon, but as I said the maximum I keep them in a 30 gallon for is until they no longer fit in a basic 4"x3.5"x3.5" tissue box(and no I dont try to stuff them in to see).

@ post 26 by Illithid
Ok, I am happy to discuss with you because you have actualy tried it. If the octopus was not happy in there and did pace the edges. It is because he is in a 30 tall, and its not a rectangle either, tanks other than a rectangle make octopuses feel closed in. if he was in a rectangular 30 long, I am very sure you would not have observed pacing.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
"getting to 3 1/2 quite commonly but they always die soon after..."

Wow. Obviously, all of us who have been keeping bimacs for a number of years are totally out of some loop. ? .

alexfevery;80927 said:
My current octopus tank has a large hole in the back where the filter goes the octopus could easily fit thru. but he never trys to leave.

Do you have any photos of your tank setup and octo?

We have a entire section called "Tank Talk" that people like me, Dan, etc. post photos of our tank setups with explainations and details of special DIY parts.

We also have a Photo Journal section where everyone posts images of thier cephs and their hatchlings. You don't need any special reason to post your octo photos, everyone just likes to see everyone else's babies.

I would love to see yours.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Yes, I second Illithid in inviting you to post on Journals and Photos and add your tank to the Tank Owners' Database.

I guess I was thinking of a larger tissue box! Thanks for giving the dimensions.

One of the other people who had a large bimac at the same time I did had to look for a new home for his octopus because it was outgrowing its tank. As I mentioned, few of our members have the luxury of being near the ocean (I'd like that myself). Anyway, his LFS took it and kept it in a larger tank. The problem is that when you begin to see you'll need a bigger tank, there's not enough time to cycle a larger one.

By the way, that's Ollie at the top of the TONMO.com page, when she younger and not quite so large.

Nancy

alexfevery

Cuttlefish
Registered
post 28 by phuntoon

I dissagree, all cycling time is eliminated, but just to be sure, i always wait tilll the next day after filling. I agree my methods are definately uinorthidox. I agree about the well being of octopuses being important,

@ post 29 by DHyslop
I have never had serious algae problems in any of my tanks.

@ post 30 by marine bio guy,
no oposition here, thanks

@post 31 by cthulhu77
oh, no when the marine institute i worked at anounced that they would be getting an octopus, they had a custom made 150 gallon wide that looked like a refrigerator, and state of the art filtration skimming and i worked and entire weekend getting it ready, it was only then that we realized that even at full size, the octopus would probably rarely be seen in such a large tank. these are definately new ways of keeping octopuses. maximum care = maximum results: until a certain point which my setup defines.

more tomorow

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Did the marine institute (which one? we have members from just about all of them) did you hail from? If they have records of a bimac that lived to be 3.5 years old, it would change a lot of history...

alexfevery

Cuttlefish
Registered
nah, it wasent theres that lived to be almost 3 1/2, it was mine, if you want to know more about it. It was a female, that I raised from eggs laid by a wild captured bimac, It was empregnated before it was caught so we dont know who the father was. To be fair though, I am not 100 percent sure it was a bimac, it looked eggsactly like a bimac, but it was missing the 2 spots next to its head, or they were under developed. I fed it frozen shrimp and crabs, and always made sure it was well stimulated during feeding and at night.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
O.K. Now I will pull off the gloves.

I find your "information" extremely dubious, and don't believe it. So, in a sense, I guess I am saying that you are in fact, lying, though my hands are not over my ears or my eyes.

Or my mind.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.