[Octopus]: Loc - Callistoctopus aspilosomatis - The Ceph Stork!

Sighted 2:30am behind Octo Rock, crawling around, then jet away when it noticed me.

I have been feeding the brittle star, we just had a water change, and it's been by the overflow vents for the last couple of weeks. Started this behavior before the ceph, so I dont think its acting like a vacuum. I tried lure it away with food - nope.
I tried to nudge it away gently with the feeder stick - nope.

My best guess is that it's supplementing pods to the feedings? I leave the over flow column with a lil algae on it to help pods and things pick on it.
I hope it tires and finds a place to hide. It's even up there when the lights are on.

I can't second guess the red serpents. At times they are almost tame, coming out at feeding time or staying out in the daylight and taking food easily from my fingers. At others, they are recluse, shy away from the food in my fingers and stay hidden. It does seem that they are more out and about with an octopus installed. I would say the octo evicted it but there are many places for the serpent and it moves about fairly frequently, with or without an octo in residence.

Aaaaaand of course the day after I post odd serpent behavior, Oscar is back in the rocks.

The shrimp started to cling to the ropes of the tank again. They only do that with an active Octo in the tank.

No sightings today.

I think we are going with the name Loc, aka, Little Octo (that) Could.

How does one feed an octo they only see randomly? If at all?

I tried to find hermits today in the tank, only seeing 4, maybe 5, of the 7. I don't have access to see the entire tank. Hm. Any other small crawlies suitable for this task?

I could try ghost/glass shrimp ... but I'm pretty sure most of them died or were picked on by the tank before Loc could get 'em.

Not a crawly but you might try a live clam.

I put 3 in a couple days ago. The shrimpies picked on 2 and they died, Oscar and Van ate them. The 3rd died a day later, same thing I think. I don't know fully.

I should try again, at 3am, and put it opened, in the back of the tank behind Octo Rock.

I'm 70% sure, Loc is back there. The scarlet shrimp are clinging to the screen (we have over the top of the tank to octo proof it) at the top of the tank, and they do that when there is a ceph OR they're picking on the algae.

:oops: I forgot about your past attempt with clams but I would suggest trying again except put them in a separate bucket (with an air pump and airline) for a couple of days (you can use tank water) to be sure they will survive. They are not treated with the best of care in the market. In spite of this though I have had several live well over a year.

Spotted at 8:30am!
Fed Loc a teeny piece of shrimp.
Here it is munching.

Times it explores, 3am and 8am. Besides the release, only times Loc has been seen.

Attachments

• Screenshot9520160901-222058951472782877045.jpg
    Screenshot9520160901-222058951472782877045.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 76
Rocco spotted Loc on/in Octo Rock, at 8ish am again... put a piece of shrimp on a feeder stick and Loc got wild and came for the food.

A scarlet shrimp tried to close in on the action, but with a long back leg of Loc's kept it at bay with some flailing and flicking.

We also have spotted the smallest of the hermit's shell empty towards the back and opposite side of Octo Rock... maybe hunted? I hope so!

Here is a pic of the munching.

Attachments

• 20160903_084023.jpg
    20160903_084023.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
Came out and ate yesterday in the morning, Roc's phone has the vid, will upload soon. Meh quality bc of glare on the tank.

Came out around noon today, lights on and all. I tried to stick feet Loc, but it fluffed sand and buried itself under a shell. I stuck the shrimp under the shell, waiting to see the stick flinch. Nothing. It is 3:10pm.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back