• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Loc - Callistoctopus aspilosomatis - The Ceph Stork!

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I'm posting every evening, like a person waiting for their food at a restaurant, who goes out to smoke or to the restroom.

Delighted when they come back to yums.

I turned in for the night, lol, Rocco is on tank watch and food slave duties.

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Came out around 10am, looking very little and not coloring strong. Attacked the food stick, but wouldn't take food, retreated soon after.

Possible Octo poop sighting, light red... shrimp and maybe another hermit, or a ghost shrimp. I have no idea.

Is now 1am, no sighting.

I don't know if it came out again in the afternoon.

Put a couple of small clams in live, let the tank pick on them. I hope it is hunting, and therefore didn't take food from us.

Odd it was out at 10am...

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Sighted 2:30am behind Octo Rock, crawling around, then jet away when it noticed me.

I have been feeding the brittle star, we just had a water change, and it's been by the overflow vents for the last couple of weeks. Started this behavior before the ceph, so I dont think its acting like a vacuum. I tried lure it away with food - nope.
I tried to nudge it away gently with the feeder stick - nope.

My best guess is that it's supplementing pods to the feedings? I leave the over flow column with a lil algae on it to help pods and things pick on it.
I hope it tires and finds a place to hide. It's even up there when the lights are on.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I can't second guess the red serpents. At times they are almost tame, coming out at feeding time or staying out in the daylight and taking food easily from my fingers. At others, they are recluse, shy away from the food in my fingers and stay hidden. It does seem that they are more out and about with an octopus installed. I would say the octo evicted it but there are many places for the serpent and it moves about fairly frequently, with or without an octo in residence.

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Aaaaaand of course the day after I post odd serpent behavior, Oscar is back in the rocks.

The shrimp started to cling to the ropes of the tank again. They only do that with an active Octo in the tank.

No sightings today.

I think we are going with the name Loc, aka, Little Octo (that) Could.

Jocco

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
How does one feed an octo they only see randomly? If at all?

I tried to find hermits today in the tank, only seeing 4, maybe 5, of the 7. I don't have access to see the entire tank. Hm. Any other small crawlies suitable for this task?

I could try ghost/glass shrimp ... but I'm pretty sure most of them died or were picked on by the tank before Loc could get 'em.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak