[Octopus]: Loc - Callistoctopus aspilosomatis - The Ceph Stork!

I am 80% convinced that this one may be a member of the nocturnal family that we have (over a long period of time and at least one reclassification) started calling Callistoctopus aspilosomatis. Have a look through Puddles journal photos and see how well they compare. Puddles was a favorite and very interactive ... at 3:00 AM. Also do a scan for Callistoctopus aspilosomatis for others we have thought to be this species (older threads would be marked macropus for the genus with an unknown species). This picture of Beldar is particularly of interest.

After some resistance due to Oscar the serpent star coming over to try and snatch the ceph's food... the new pus ate a teeny piece of frozen shrimp around 2am.

It made an appearance right before 2am, over in between the new barnacles and the black fake log by Octo Rock.

Still no idea where the den is, or if it picked one.

Seems to be ok.

Didn't like the big serpent star getting all up in its space and retreated a little (I gently moved the star away with a straw), but nudged a cleaner shrimp away when it got too close. I would say "flicked"... but all of the nubby arms :frown: lol.

Reading through the threads... this octo def has a blue/green sheen. I can see it in the dark, no lights. And legs are thin. Front nubs seem thicker, even though shorter/cut. Mantle is grape sized but sort of coney. I only saw the skunk stripes upon release.

It's tolerating the flash, and doesn't seem the mind my getting close. Maybe since it was captured and with the distributor, it knows humans = food already.

I'm super curious to see if I can induce the parachute pounce, if this species does it.
There is a chance I saw octo poop btw, it was black. Maybe it caught a hermit! Lfs gave us 6... and I didn't have months to get to know them.
We did name the littlest hermit Popcorn, bc it's tiny and round black shell. Looks like a burnt kernel.

Currently it has all legs tucked under for the most part, but then again, missing many legs. Sort of how some dogs or cats tuck when they lay down. Ugh. I'm looking at photos of the linked journals, but they look odd bc my octo is incomplete lol.

The name Nibbles seems to be the name pulling forward, but I like Bugger too. Rocco and I have been coming up with all sorts of cute names.
I hope it lives a bit.

Pics from tonight

Suggestion. Can this site support uploading more than 4 pics per post?

Attachments

• 20160825_015644.jpg
    20160825_015644.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 102
  • 20160825_015806.jpg
    20160825_015806.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • 20160825_015953.jpg
    20160825_015953.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
Rocco said our octopus was out and about when he came home from his glass blowing shop, and while he ate dinner... 5am or so. He has the photo, but the ceph was perched on top of a rock in the middle of the tank eyeing things up.

It is 12:30am now, posting to get tonight's good juju flowing.

Rocco posting!
Feeding frenzy from last night around 2 am, got home from glass work and found the little octo chilling. I slowly waved the shrimp bit at it about 3 inches from where it was hanging out. It attacked the food quite aggressively, which I took for a good healthy sign, then came back for more. After it had settled down i had dinner along side and it stayed there all night till I went to bed. Totally comfortable being out after 1 am.

Attachments

• IMG_20160826_123440.jpg
    IMG_20160826_123440.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
I'm posting every evening, like a person waiting for their food at a restaurant, who goes out to smoke or to the restroom.

Delighted when they come back to yums.

I turned in for the night, lol, Rocco is on tank watch and food slave duties.

Came out around 10am, looking very little and not coloring strong. Attacked the food stick, but wouldn't take food, retreated soon after.

Possible Octo poop sighting, light red... shrimp and maybe another hermit, or a ghost shrimp. I have no idea.

Is now 1am, no sighting.

I don't know if it came out again in the afternoon.

Put a couple of small clams in live, let the tank pick on them. I hope it is hunting, and therefore didn't take food from us.

Odd it was out at 10am...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back