• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

live rock

I like a bit more live rock...100-150 lbs would be ok...makes the tank much more interesting for you and the octo!
Agree with the sand bit...not more than an inch or so!
Greg

I have to add my experience here. I have a 47 gallon tank with sump and bought more than 50 lbs of live rock to start with. Later on, I added 7 or 8 more pounds to fill a corner.

I ended up having too much live rock. My bimac Ollie grew bigger and started pushing out rocks into her sandy beach area, which she did use. She just shoved rocks out to make her den bigger and bigger. She also toppled the taller rocks. As I redo my tank now, I am removing rock because I realize I had too much. It was fine for a young octo but not for an adult. The sandy beach area is important for a bimc - it's an area for play and for catching crabs. I don't want to lose it the next time.

Nancy

The caves of the octo make it feel more secure, it acts as a spot for the octo to dash into in the face of danger. Nick is right, the octo is more likely to come out with live rock.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back