• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Live rock questions.

:smile:

I was thinking about rock, and I think the most ethical placed to get it is from someone who is leaving the hobby.

Good idea,
There is a used tank for sale at my local LFS, but he already sold the live rock :sad: . But maybe I will ask the LFS to let me know if any more becomes available. Maybe I can start a live rock recycling business. :smile: (In my spare time of course...)

eBay always has a lot of people getting out of the hobby. You just need to watch it for a few weeks and find someone within driving distance.

Dan

That's a good suggestion, Righty.

I have some of my live rock from another octo keeper locally, who rescued it from an LFS that was closing down.

Nancy

mucktopus said:
"Artificial cavities were constructed using a similar method to Steger (1985). Half-liter plastic containers were oiled with vegetable oil and filled with cement to approximately 45 mm in depth. The cement was mixed from coralline sand, cement, and freshwater. ..."
Coraline sand, aragonite, etc... are also part of the reef and its removal may result on environmental problems.
I made 100% artificial live rock out of cement and rock salt. Just mix the cement with water, followed of rock salt (1:2 proportion) and mold it to any shape.
After one day you have to start the curing process, which takes quite some time because the salt has to dissolve completely leaving a light rock full of holes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back