Little Omani Cuttlefish

Greetings all.

Can anybody identify this little (roughly 10 cm) cuttlefish? It was in very shallow water at low tide near the Oman Dive Centre close to Muscat.

Apologies for the poor images (two are stills from video). There are dark and light transverse bands on the mantle and an abundance of tubercles. When we were face to face it raised two tentacles to me.

I think the large cuttlefish we see in the supermarkets here are Sepia pharaonis, but this little animal looks very different.

Grateful for your help.

Attachments

• conv_304115.jpg
    conv_304115.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_304113.jpg
    conv_304113.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 144
  • conv_304114.jpg
    conv_304114.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 114
  • conv_304112.jpg
    conv_304112.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 123
Thanks! I'll do that in future. I tried another clip (out of the 5 minutes or so I filmed them for), but was frustrated by the quality degradation.

We set up a marine aquarium this summer, stimulated by the idea of having a cephalopod to observe, but now I'm thinking that I'm going to enjoy the cuttlefish in the wild and keep the tank for watching the corals, anemones, worms, urchin, shrimp and fish that are in there now.

Upvote 0
Thales, do your S. pharaonis show a zebra-stripe pattern? That is quite striking when you see them laid out in the fishmarket here. The couple shown above from Marjan Bay did not show this pattern in any of their various displays.

I found a photo of a different cuttlefish with a neon blue line here: Picture #: 012840

Upvote 0
I am out of my league with cuttle ID Hajar (and still novice with the octos) but from watching and reading, the zebra stripe pattern seems to show on dominant males of multiple species during mating as an aggressive display toward other males and according to this video to determine if an encounter is with a male or a female (the dialog is a bit hokey :biggrin2:). The cuttlefish part starts at 2:47 through the end.

Upvote 0
Beautiful filming (the commentary is very sweet). Thank you.

We saw just one big cuttlefish today, but sadly it came out of the water impaled on the spear of a local spearfisherman, expelling gushes of ink. I know it will make a great meal, but we didn't enjoy seeing this.

Upvote 0
The difficult thing though is when the mindset of "Hmm, tasty seafood, let's kill it and eat it" intrudes on the mindset of watching amazing versatile, beautiful and intelligent living creatures (when the last thing to occur would be to hurt them). I normally manage to keep the two separated.

"Spearman" had several big cuttles dangling from his spear today (they are easy victims, trusting and fearless). We went to the next bay along where there were turtles and spectacular fish, but very few corals and no cephalopods that we could see.

Attachments

• conv_296877.jpg
    conv_296877.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0
When I get challenged with the food question, I answer that I keep food as a pet and leave it at that. Not the best answer perhaps but it usually stops the discussion.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back