• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Little Octopus from the Lembeh Strait

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
@Nick Hope
I messaged @mucktopus after your post but she had disappeared off the on-line planet for a few months. She did return my pm today with the following,
My guess is it's O cyanea based on the proportions, the papillae and the pattern around the eye. Though it could be a little beast that might be Amphioctopus kagoshimensis. I've never gotten a definitive ID but think it's in Lembeh.

Thank you. I've never knowingly seen either Octopus cyanea or Amphioctopus kagoshimensis in the Lembeh Strait but of course that's not to say that they're not there. I made a video of the footage I have in case it helps:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syd Kasten

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak