Little Chef's Reef

I bet in time he will go in, this is his first incounter with this box so far. He has also been sleeping on the wall by the vortech since i recieved him and tonight he finnaly found a new spot to sleep withing the rock work. Home sweet den :smile:

Thanks for the advise about sanding it, i will do it when i drill a few more holes in it this weekend.

Today I experimented with using an emory board for acrylic nails and it did a decent quick job of taking off a rough edge for a support that would not be seen. For the holes, however, probably just making a circle of sand paper and pulling it through several times should work (wrapping it in a pencil or something similar might make it quicker if the holes are big enough.

Well i havent posted on here in awhile, been pretty busy lately. i upgraded my tank to a 75 and the sump to a 55. Well, little chef started to hide out in his den a lot and soon stopped coming out. i knew from reading before that he was near the end of his life. well today was that day. I took him out and put him into a critter keeper while i did a water change and cleaned up a bit. I take him out because he likes to wrap around my hand while i clean up his messes. When i was done cleaning and water changing he was dead. arms curled up. non responsive to touch, no breathing, no color changing... Sigh... today was not a good day..

About how big did Little Chef get? Mantle length, arm length stretched, arm length swimming? We have so little on the hummelinckis that it would be helpful for all who have the luck to keep one provide a little summary. I am afraid you will find yourself subcontiously looking at the tank expecting to see him, we did and still do even though we now have OhToo. Sorry,

his mantel was about 2 inches or so, and arms stretched i would guess 4-5 inches? swimming about 3 inches. although i haven't seen him swim in awhile as he stayed in his den for the past month before he died.

His diet consisted of snails, blue claw crabs, emerald crabs, sally light foot crabs, and chitin that were all wild caught by me. He also sometimes received a whole shrimp and large scallop when i remembered to grab a few at the grocery.

How well did he eat the chitons? I have been talking with a new member in Australia about them and am wondering if they will breed in an aquarium. I have one now in my reef but am thinking about getting several more if this is a viable diet. Haggs collected some on a recent dive/snorkle and put them in his tank but has not reported back on them.

he only ate a few that where there. im guessing he just didn't notice them to much. but when i first put them in there he will eat them, or if they lift up and he sees them move around. he prolly ate about 3 that were 3-4 inches in length and a i would guess about 5 that were an inch or under. as far as the chitons breeding (if thats what your talking about) i never saw any breed in my tank but maybe i wasn't looking hard enough :/

I have no idea if they will breed in a tank or how long the process is. I got 3 because we saw them in St. Maartin, had no clue what they were and then came across some a month or so ago. I tried them in three different tanks and lost two in the first week but my large one is doing well. Haggs posted that he noticed the octos in his little "lagoon" had been eating them and a light bulb went off :idea:. The little I could find on them said that two are needed to mate. One article said that there are two sexes but another said they can be both but still need a partner to produce young (both could be right depending on the species). I should be able to get a number of the Caribbean variety to experiement with so I will see what happens :cool2:. I do find it strange that no one has posted about octos eating them before but the deaths of the two smaller ones may be a clue that they are hard to keep alive in an aquarium.

i havn't found it hard to keep em alive. i have a bunch still in my tank. im not sure what i will put in the tank next :/ i havent seen cuttles localy in my area to even get them. octos are everywhere there. i might do another octo

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back