Little Chef's Reef

Chef Reef

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hi, This will be my first Cephalopd tank. The tank is an established 1 year reef tank. I have removed potentail stinging corals for the the octo's saftey. I will be Picking up my octopus later today or tomorrow. all i know is it will be a mid atlantic species. I havent decided on a name but for right now i will just call him "Little Chef" So here are a few pic's of the tank he/she/it will be staying in :smile:

FTS -

002.jpg

Couple zoa's -

003.jpg

A little cave i hope Little Chef will use -

005.jpg

Where i think i will keep his foo. I think im going to keep it in his tank as some sort of activity. Right now there are only a few snails in the holding cell :P but there are a bunch of crabs roaming the tank and some large crabs in the sump in case i end up with a larger octo (hopefully not).

007.jpg

Here is the lid to help keep him in. It's basicaly one of those zoomed steel screen tops that i cut holes in to put the overflow and return through.

009.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

In the sump there is a ASM - G3 skimmer as well as a phosban with carbon.

On my way now to go see what octo they got in for me. :wink:

Thank! :smile:

Size of the tank is a 55 gal.

The lid is a basic reptile lip from zoo med made for a 55 tank. they have em range from 10 - 90 gal tanks. i just cut some of the steel mesh out with a knife.

I will take a pic of the sump in a few days once i clean up under there :P I have alot of random stuff that i can't seem to find a home for that i am trying to get rid of to clear up space.

A little more detail on the sump though.
It is a 30 gal oceanic AGA that i turned into a sump, it used to be my old tank before i upgraded to the 55. I have it set up so the overflow drains into a filter sock that i clean once a week. There is an additional 20+lbs of LR in the sump, mostely becuase i have no where else to put it and would like to keep it live. it also gives my two large crabs a home for the time being untill the octo eats it, that is if the octo can eat them. It has a ASM - G3 skimmer that pulls out pure black gunk (when i had fish). Also have a "Two little fishes" phosban reactor setup with carbon. and it is returned by a Rio 2500, which i plan to upgrade to a ehiem 1262 later on. I also plan on getting another phosban reactor for some GFO. At the moment i do not have a fuge but maybe when i get a bigger sump later down the road i will make it to include a fuge.

Well fr the time being i will have to wait on Little Chef. All of these "suppliers" are not supplying after they promis this and that and promise on this date and that. It's a little harder than i thought finding the right octo. Hopefully some time next week or the weekend i will get one. Will keep you updated. :smile:

Where are you ordering from? That's a good setup. I was actually looking into a different skimmer for mine because it's powered by a rio2100 and they have a tendency to self destruct. I didn't want reef to crash so i'm looking into the ASM G series. I'd like a mesh modded 3. Is yours modded? have you used any others like a 2 or 1?

Iv been trying to go through LFS's. i figured they should be able to get them rather easy becuase i live in south florida. they are common to see in the stores but the ones i have seen just are not what im looking for.

I really like the asm's. Mine is not modded for a few reasons. the mesh mod iv heard good and bad things about. mostely having to clean the mesh like every month which i know i just wont do. the good out weighs the bad though. i jsut dont want to have to take apart the pump to clean it :/. I have tried the G-1 before. it is ok for a smaller tank. my father-in-law also uses the ASM G-1 or ASM mini, i can't remember, on his custom 40 gal with 10 gal sump. its pretty heavy stocked and he has no problems. Me personaly i could see myself with anything less then the G-3 on this tank. im too inpressed with it :P. That and i had to custom build my stand becuase none of the store bought ones could house this big thing, It's pretty tall.

If you did mod it i wod do the gate valve mod, and the mesh mod if you dont mind cleaning it. Also to do the recirc mod. if you do that you will have a BEAST of a skimmer. I just havnt got around to doing that with mine yet. i plan on adding another 1 or 2 sedra's to it.

Well, no octo yet but I did replace the Koralia 3 (on the right) with a Vortech MP40W tonight :biggrin2:. I still have the Koralia 4 on the left side though. Man that thing is awesome.. That's about it for updates so far, unless you wanna hear about my average, pretty boring, routine water change i just did :P

I really like that little food container thing. :smile: Only problem is that you might tempt your octo to see the food and his mouth will start watering then he will try to break into it lol. I dunno. :smile:

he should be able to push up the screen a little to get in the container, which is fine becuase then he can eat when he wants and doesnt have to worry about his food hidding or escaping :smile:. there will be a few critters running wild though but most his food will be in this "holding cell".

Little Chef is here!! He/she is being acclimated right now. i will take pictures later tonight or tomorrow. i have to go to class now and wont be back for 6 hours. i have the drip going really slow so hopefully it doesnt fill up before i get home. he is in a large critter keeper right now and my wife will keep an eye on it. i told here what to do if anything goes wrong or it fills up before i get back. now i just have to cross my fingers.

He was labbled "octopus" at the LFS... go figure. but he is a light brown with some interesting paterns but also changes to a solid darker brown with no paterens. It also eyes eye spots. and is about the size of my fist. ( im 6'4") to give you an idea of my fist. i cant see the mantle yet so couldn't tell you that. I hope people here will be able to identify him. also i live in south florida but i have no idea where it was colected. i really dislike the LFS i was at and normally don't buy livestock from them so hopefully everything works out.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back