Little Chef's Reef

I grabbed a few more pics that came out better. I figured while he was awake and the lights were still on i would take a few more pics of him inside the tank. The last picture is to show him and the whole tank to show size.

021-1.jpg

029.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

022-1.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

If my prospective is right, he looks close to the size of Octane when he first came to our tank (see "I AM A ROCK" video/pictures at front of thread).

Do you have somewhere else to put that anemone that is in the bottom left? Long tenticled critters tend to be a problem and I had to move some of my polyps with Octane (he reacted negatively when he touched them but others were fine). I am worried about the sting causing possible leisons.

If you have any raw shrimp, you might try stick feeding as sometimes they will eat out of nerveousness the first day but might not eat for a couple of days while adjusting. If you can get him to eat now, he will at least have a full belly before the likely fast. Try touching the shrimp as close to the mouth as he will let you but move slowly. We found with Octane that his suckers seemed to be most food sensitive close to the mouth and that if he shoved the food away, he would not eat it later so one slow attempt is best.

ATM i dont not have a spot to move then nem, i have another tank but the lights cannot support it so as soon as i get lights on that tank i wil move it. I tried feeding but he wouldn't have at it. maybe i will try tomorrow putting it closer to his mouth. but it is a O.hummelincki right?

That would be my guess and I would like to see if your supplier can get another and will ship it to GA. We are so depresses looking at the empty tank and the diver that found 'Tane does not normally find or collect octopuses. He just happened on this one and caught him for me because I had written him with a request. In 7 months he has not come upon another.

It seems your camera has a similar problem to mine in that it does not auto focus very well when trying to shoot a close up segment of the aquarium but does a good job if you back up (Neal is Xmas shopping for one like AM's and has already bought the underwater housing for my birthday but not the camera :roll:). You might try backing up somewhere between the nice full tank shot and the unfocused close ups and then cropping the picture and enlarging if your pixle count is relatively high. The bad part is I love all the features of my current camera but 90 percent of my use is to take aquarium pictures (the new one has both an underwater and an aquarium mode :biggrin2: and the minute AM got his several of us asked what he bought without being told he had a new camera).

AM - I will look into that, i was told i need good lights to keep it. maybe the guy was thinking of the RBTA when i asked him becuase we were just talking about one.

I believe little chef ate today. one of my new snail's shell lays empty on the sand bed. it has a unique shell so i know its not an old one. i just wish i coulda saw it eat :roll:

Well he ate again last night. this time the wife saw him eat.

I noticed some cool color patterens last night when i got home as well. He was cruisin the tank and he turned his tenticals a bright yellow - orange color, and kept the rest of his body a dark brown almost pruple tint to it. and looked really cool becuase his suckers are purple so the orange just stood out so much. Also he was doing this thing that reminded me of two face from batman becuase he would "flash" colors on his head. It would be full white on one side and full dark brown on the other side of his head. I wish i had my cammera on me for that, but im quite sure i will see it again. He is so fun to watch. checking every hole with his arms and i saw him swim accorss the tank as well that was really cool. he looked like a cuttle when he did it :P

lol can you tell? is it really that obvious. I'v been hit by the octo love arrow :P

(that sounded dumb)

Also today i got to HAND feed him. i offered another one of those snails to him and he reached out and grabbed me, crawled over and took it, then hopped down and ate him. First time i got to see him eat. as soon as he was done he grabbed another that was near by.. poor guy was just cleaning the glass :P

We hand fed Octane 90% of the time. Occassionally, Neal would not be willing to wait for him to decide he was hungry and would use the feeding stick but most days Octane just came to the top and flopped over so Neal could put the shrimp on his beak - sooo lazy! If Octane was typical (I have found a few outside posts that suggest he was), he will initiate contact more and more often as he trusts you. On occassion he would stick to a finger and pull. This is the only time I did not let him do as he wanted with my hand. When he wanted to swim or climb on me, I allowed it as long as he was not trying to pull my hand down into the tank. Other than the brief tugging, he was extremely gentle and wanted to be handled likewise, just the barest of touches but he kept coming back for and for longer durations.

It's funny he got one snail out and then carried it with him the whole time he was trying to get more out of the cell. I also tried zooming in at one point when he tore a one of the crabs pinchers off and pulled it into his mouth. You can briefly see a green arm in his mouth. I think i may need to drill a few more holes in this box or make them a little bigger. Surprisingly he never went threw the top of the box like i thought he would. I figured he would just squeeze himself into the box and eat em. He really liked the emerald crabs though.

I love the video! I have been thinking hummelincki may not compress themselves like other octos that have been videoed (GHolland's recent merc adventures. It will be interesting to see if he does eventually go inside. You may want to take some sandpaper to the holes so that there are no sharp edges as drilled acrylic can be very sharp (one expensive skimmer pump lost - almost an electrical disaster - makes me very aware of this problem)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back