Little Chef's Reef

Looking at octane's journal i think it looks alot like O. Hummelincki. But when I get pics hopefully it will help. I bet it is a O. Hummelincki.

I was just about to post O.hummelincki as a "pre-picture" guess based upon your location and the eye spots. Can you PM me contact info for your LSF? His size is worrisome but 'Tane was large on arrival (not as big as Neal's hand though - also 6'4" - but he has/had very big hands - left hand somewhat dimished as of 4 weeks ago :sad:).

Post #79 on page 4 of Octane's thread shows most of the markings you should be able to find. Look for the orange ring around the blue eye spot (eye spot not always visible but usually disernable), a brown stripe of connected dots running from the head, across the eye and extending into the mantle, purple rings on the suckers and a slight skin pigtail when not showing cripsis (I think this is where the extra skin is gathered for the smooth look). The brown stripe is almost always visible but not always well defined. There is also a a second false eye above the real eye that is often a brownish orange. You will see a very clear display of these markings in the last photo on the afore mentioned post.

If your experience is half of mine, you will fall in love with this animal.

can you tell me a bit about their personality? are they active in the day or night? typical foods? I will look more closely on the markings when i get home. i only saw it for a breif moment before i had to leave for class.

Chef Reef;123916 said:
wow i just looked at those photos and that octo is beautifull.

You betcha :biggrin2: with an even better personality!

They are diurnal and sleep all night.

As for personality, I don't paraphrase well :wink:. Take some time to read some of the entries in my journal and watch some of the videos after you finish your homework (or if it starts putting you to sleep - I remember taking night classes and working days - for 7 years - :sleeping:).

Im gonna go with a def O.hummelincki . everything you mentioned it has. from the blue eye spot with the orange ring around it to the orange eyespots above the eye. the suckers look a little purple color and he does have brown srtips running up his head. I am uploading pictures now but man you can't see anything in these pictures. but again I'm almost positive it is a O.hummelincki

Here are the pics, this is the best i could do tonight. i will try again in the morning when i have good lighting in the house. I doubt you will be able to ID him from these.

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

008.jpg

007-1.jpg

006.jpg

wow those look even worse when they are blown up.. the critter keeper is now floating in the tank. He turned colors when i moved the cage to the tank and looked exactly like dwhatley's avatar

If he is still in his critter keeper, I would suggest you let him out so he can find a comfortable den. Stress is very harmful and not being able to sleep in the dark seems to effect them. We kept a red night light on the tank for a long time. Every now and then I would notice that Octane was up and about in the middle of the night. Eventually, I put two and two together and realized that every time the power would go out, the night light would revert to white light and would shine in his sleeping quarters. The red light did not bother him. We removed the light since we seem to be having an abnormal amount of quick power outages and the white light obviously distressed him.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back