• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Literature

Art

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,

greetings from Belgium :notworth:

I'm realy interested in octopus care and more specially in everything that has to do with the Octopus Joubini (pygmy).

Nevertheless I don't seem to find much written information about it.

Can anyone please recommend certain books or papers?

You can always add me on MSN to discuss this matter!

Thanx a lot in advance.

Before I dive into this adventure, I'd like to be well prepared...

GREETINGS,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to TONMO.com :welcome:

You'll find a lot of general information about keeping octopuses here on TONMO.com, probably more than you'll find anywhere else - be sure to have a look at the articles (click on Ceph Care above).

There is only a third of a page on O. joubini in Cephalopods: A World Guide. Perhaps someone else can recommend some articles.

Nancy

Thx 4 the heartwarming welcome :biggrin2:

I only seem to find the fact about the large eggs and short lifespan (6 months)...

So I'd like to create a special (large) tank with lotsa nice hiding places where I can keep at least 4 of the O. Joubini. Hoping that at least one would repreduce (which will be very hard work to make them survive).

So I'm still looking for info about the keeping and breeding of those cute little fellows :P

(i've allready thought of some really cool 'feeding toys' so they'll still have to work for their food (if strong enough) ).

Friendly greetings

Michael

References for Octopus Bathypolypus arcticus

O'Dor, R. K. and E. G. Macalaster. 1983. Bathypolypus arcticus Ed Boyle, P.R. Cephalopod Life Cycles. Vol 1. Academic Press, London. 401-410pp.

Wood, J. B., Kenchington, E. and O'Dor R. K. In press Reproduction and embryonic development time of Bathypolypus arcticus, a deep-sea octopod (Cephalopoda: Octopoda). Malacologia (Will be printed in June 1997)

BathyJB1.jpg

Michael.

References on Octopus Joubini

(found on http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/ )

- Bradley E.A. 1974. Some observations of Octopus joubini in an inland aquarium. Journal of Zoology, London. 173 : pp.355-368

- Forsythe J.W. 1979. Growth of Octopus joubini Robson, 1929 reared in closed seawater systems. The Bulletin of the American Malacologia Union , Inc.. : pp.69

- Forsythe J.W. 1981. A study of the growth of Octopus joubini Robson, 1929 reared in controlled closed seawater systems. Thesis, Biology Department. Texas A&M University , College Station. : pp.1-79

- Forsythe J.W. 1984. Octopus joubini Mollusca: Cephalopoda): A detailed study of growth through the full life cycle in a closed seawater system. Journal of Zoology, London. 202 : pp.393-417

- Forsythe J.W. and R.B. Toll 1991. Clarification of the western Atlantic Ocean pygmy octopus complex: the identity and life history of Octopus joubini (Cephalopoda: Octopodinae). Bulletin of Marine Science. 49 (1/2) : pp.88-97

- Forsythe J.W. and R.T. Hanlon 1980. A closed marine culture system for rearing Octopus joubini and other large-egged benthic octopods. Laboratory Animals. 14 : pp.137-142

- Forsythe J.W. and R.T. Hanlon 1981. First rearing of Octopus joubini Robson, 1929 on Mysidacean and Caridean Shrimps. Bulletin of the American Malacological Union for 1980. : pp.42-45

- Hanlon R.T. 1983. Octopus joubini. In: Cephalopod life cycles Volume I - Species Accounts. Boyle, P.R., ed. Academic Press, London. Vol. 1 : pp.293-310

- Mather J. 1980. Social organization and use of space by Octopus joubini in a semi-natural situation. Bulletin of Marine Science. 30 (4) : pp.848-857

- Mather J.A. 1972. A preliminary study of the behavior of Octopus joubini Robson 1929. Florida State University. : pp.1-118

- Mather J.A. 1978. Mating behavior of Octopus joubini Robson. The Veliger. 21 (2) : pp.265-267

- Mather J.A. 1982. Choice and competition: their effects on occupancy of shell homes by Octopus joubini. Marine Behaviour and Physiology. 8 : pp.285-293

- Mather J.A. 1984. Development of behaviour in Octopus joubini Robson, 1929. Vie et Milieu. 34 (1) : pp.17-20

- Opresko L. and R. Thomas 1975. Observations on Octopus joubini; Some aspects of reproduction biology and growth. Marine Biology. 31 : pp.51-61

Is there anyone who can help me find these works ???????
Looked almost everywhere, no results... :frown:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back