• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

lighting for baby octos

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I have been wondering if anyone has ideas about how much light newly hatched octos need? I have been reading that fish fry have to have the tank sides blacked out and only lit from above so they can see their prey. Sounds good, however octos aren't fish, so I was wondering of the same rule applies? My tanks are near a window that receives a strong southern exposure, I was thinking of just setting up my hatch out tank in the same place and only giving them the natural light. I have extra lights, so I could try either method...

You probably already know this but, the reason for blacking the sides of the tanks for larval fish is because their vision is not fully developed. The black background makes it easier for them to determine the distance their food is from them. I don't know if there is a similar vision development delay issue for octos. Cuttles don't seem to have that issue: BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Cuttlefish spot target prey early

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back