Let's play.... NAME THAT BIZARRE CEPHALOPOD!!!!

Here's an interesting one. This ceph is...

:arrow: known only from extremely advanced reproductive stages

:arrow: currently designated as its own species but

:arrow: may be synonymous with something else

:?:

Hmmmm...........Architeuthis.....oh I don't know.

How about A.drake?

Yo, Kat, as for yours, how about Valbyteuthis?

Tintenfisch,

Ignore my post above.

Methinks yours may possibly be Onykia, possible juvenile specimen of Moroteuthis.

Do I win a coconut, or is it back to the books?

My only guess would be Asperoteuthis sp. B, maybe? but I can't find anything about that species being described in german...? I give up!

OK, one last set of hints.

:arrow: The tentacles, though unknown, will have hooks on them

:arrow: The species is characterized in part by its gelatinous tissue

:arrow: If Ghengis had married an Irishwoman, their child's Latin name would have gone something like this

:idea: :squid: :?:

OK, I'll tell ya. It's Chaunoteuthis mollis Appellöf, 1891. This is a species whose validity is currently under debate (on Tree of Life its current systematic status is given as Onychoteuthis Lichtenstein [sic] although there's no information given for a species of that name); it is generally agreed that Chaunoteuthis encompasses spent individuals of the other onychoteuthid genera. BUT certain dissimilarities suggest that it may also be its own kettle of fish; at the moment I'm translating Appellöf's original description from German and will post it here when it's done.
An enigma, indeed.

:grad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back