Let's play.... Cephword!

Here's a game that may appeal to all you fans of Scrabble, Boggle, Perquackey, and those "Jumble" puzzles that appear in the newspapers. It's called Cephword!

How does it work? Very simple, gang: I or one of the other players posts ANY long ceph-related word. Then everyone tries to find as many words (3 letters and up) which can be made from it. To make things more of a challenge, and to avoid duplication, for each given puzzle a player may post no more than ten words in each of the following categories:

- 3 letters
- 4 letters
- 5 letters
- 6 letters or more

None of the words may duplicate entries previously posted for a given puzzle. Both singular and plural forms of a word may be used. For words with two possible spellings (e.g., "favor" or "favour"), you may use whichever one is most familiar to you, but not both. You may not use proper names, capitalized place names, scientific genus or species names as answers (though you may use them as puzzle starter words).

All entries may be challenged by other players, but s/he must present proof using either a dictionary or an online reference. Any challenger or challengee who is proven incorrect, gets only half a bucket of krill at feeding time for a week. Submitting blatantly misspelled or obviously made-up words (e.g., "oktopuss" or "gringendoodleplatz") is punishable by gang tomato'ing.

If there are any rules I haven't covered here, I invite my fellow TONMOers to add their own or amend the existing ones.

Ready to play? Here's the first puzzle, and my words (remember, only ten words per word-length per player):

ARCHITEUTHIS

art
rat
tar
sit
his
car
tic
hit
hat
cat

arts
rats
tars
sits
scar
tics
hits
hats
cats
star

carts
start
tarts
chits
chats
chart
teach
cheat
crest
tears

stitch
arches
atheist
starch
stretch
charts
cheats
treats
earths
traces

OK, who's next? Wanted: More takers for ARCHITEUTHIS!

The Tanster

Re: Let's play.... Cephword!

Hmm, I wonder who'll bite...

ARCHITEUTHIS

arc her hut tie she the ute sue tea rut

cash such cite cart stir thus hart shah tire rite

reach chair tithe hutch crate tacit races retch scare tract

astute hirsute static chutes chaste cutter rhachis shutter curate thatch

:wink:

Heheh -- somehow I knew Kat would be the first to show up :wink:

While we're at it, here are a couple of ADDENDA TO THE RULES which just occurred to me:

• (a) More than one puzzle may be active on thread at the same time (as with "Six Degrees to a Ceph"). Players, just be sure to place puzzle-starter word at the beginning of your answers so we'll know which one you are playing.

(b) Come to think of it, two-word puzzle-starters can be acceptable as well (e.g., MESONYCHOTEUTHIS HAMILTONI or JACQUES COUSTEAU). *
* Dammit, why didn't I start with ARCHITEUTHIS DUX? Dumb Tani! Dumb! Dumb!

:bonk:

tonmo said:

Shouldn't that smiley-face be shaped like a donut :?:

BTW, we're on a roll here with those puzzle answers! How about trying this variant (while continuing the original game, of course):

ARCHITEUTHIS DUX

But, due to the three additional letters, only words containing the letter D, X, or two U's are acceptable.

I'll kick it off with just three of each length. Anyone want to try for ten?

tax - six - sex
exit - dues - axis
duets - chide - darts
starched - tithed - dearth

Keep on keepin' on, gang!

:smile:
Me

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back