Let's play... 6 degrees to a ceph!

....i know there are shorter things out there....possibily stemming from quaid in innerspace.... sorry i cant remember the old guy's name....

does looking back in this thread count as cheating?

if you inisist on rolling out the barrel, do it in style :smile:
http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/Exhibit.jsp?AlbumID=30
:roflmao: Where on earth did you find that? Hysterical! I think one of the "reviewers" says it all:

• This piece of surrealism would almost certainly be useful in your neighbohood torture chamber. I know I'd confess to the kennedy asassination if I had to listen to any more of it! (10-12-2002)

Speaking of Weird Al, I remember seeing UHF, and he and Michael Richards being in it, but I don't remember who McCarthy was -- I saw the film ages ago.

Sure, looking back in this thread is cool. Let's face it, there hasn't been an infinite number of Cephs in the arts and the media throughout history. (That's why non-fictional sources such as Steve-O', Clyde, Kat, Richard Ellis, and Jacques Cousteau must also be considered acceptable.)

Here's my take on the Seinfeld connection:

• -- In an episode of SEINFELD, Jerry's "personality clone" was played by Janeane Garofalo

-- Janeane Garofalo was in MYSTERY MEN with Paul Reubens

-- Paul Reubens was in BLOW with Johnny Depp

-- Johnny Depp was in ED WOOD with Martin Landau

-- Martin Landau played Bela Lugosi in ED WOOD

-- The real Bela Lugosi wrestled a real fake Octopus in a film directed by the real Ed Wood
Of course, if I were really being creative, I could have jumped directly from Degree #2 to:

• -- There used to be lots of bad Paul Reubens jokes circulating on the net

-- There still are lots of bad Ceph jokes circulating on TONMO
....but I shall refrain from doing so out of respect for Paul Reubens :lol:

Miss Danae, the Most Beautiful Squid in the World
Pee-Wee's Playhouse

after a couple times of listening, i think the song becomes more tolerable and makes a nice change of pace (i certainly dont have anything like it in my mp3 collection to be sure) :smile:

i pulled out my copy of uhf... his first name is kevin.... older, silver haired, and played a villian in both movies i can remember with him... i get a soap opera vibe from him, but have no explaination why.....

WhiteKiboko said:
after a couple times of listening, i think the song becomes more tolerable and makes a nice change of pace (i certainly dont have anything like it in my mp3 collection to be sure) :smile:

i pulled out my copy of uhf... his first name is kevin.... older, silver haired, and played a villian in both movies i can remember with him... i get a soap opera vibe from him, but have no explaination why.....

I did a superficial search for Kevin McCarthy, but couldn't find anything -- maybe next time I'll try Google which is much more comprehensive. I've got a feeling he's one of those character actors whom everyone knows by sight, but few people know by name.

Yeah, the song really isn't that awful, as awful songs go. Of course, getting Yours Truly on the subject of awful songs is a dangerous game, as my Cliff Clavinishness positively blossoms when the topic is brought up. As I write this, the Solid Gold Oldies station on our cable is playing Tom Jones' "Delilah", one of my favorite awful songs. (The melody isn't bad, but the lyrics.... "So before they come to break down the door / Forgive me, Delilah, I just couldn't take any more." Classic! :P )

IMHO, awful songs fall into two distinct categories: Intentionally Awful Songs, a.k.a. Novelty Songs (e.g., "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa", "Monster Mash", "Gimme Dat Ding", "Witch Doctor", etc.), and Unintentionally Awful Songs ("Delilah", "Leader of the Pack", "Honey I Miss You", "They Needed a Songbird in Heaven, So God Took Caruso Away", etc.). Composers of Intentionally Awful (Novelty) Songs are admirable as it takes a lot of creativity to come up with clever/funny lyrics that are also singable. However, composers of Unintentionally Awful Songs are even more admirable because they (presumably) knew the risk of writing lyrics that had the potential of not being taken seriously, but they went ahead and took the risk anyway. (If on the other hand they were certain that said lyrics would be taken seriously, they were complete idiots -- but I give them more credit than that....)

See what happens when you get me started on Awful Songs? Anybody willing to discuss this topic further should start a new thread, as it may go on forever.... Cthulhu help us!

:jester:

ok maybe i shouldnt have limited it to movies.....

cosby was in "leonard part 6" with the woman who was the oracle in the matrix movies (cant remember her name off the top of my head)

if you dont know what im talking about and like/love pretty bad movies, trying renting it.....

WhiteKiboko said:
this seemed quasi-relevent....

Click here for link

Fascinating article! In fact, I've noticed this "six degrees" effect in my own life long before there was such a thing as the internet. Back in college, I used to marvel at how everyone I knew seemed to know everyone else I knew, entirely independent of me. (That's an awkward way of putting it, but back then we didn't have the expression "six degrees of separation".)

For me, this has even included some non-unknown people.... which I guess is bound to happen when one is as ancient as yours truly :biggrin2: In the course of my life -- assuming "1 degree" is friendship with the person and "2 degrees" is friendship with a friend of the person, I've been:

• -- 2 degrees from H.P. Lovecraft (via two different individuals, independently of each other!)

-- 2 degrees from Ayn Rand

-- 2 degrees from the Dalai Lama

-- 2 degrees from Native American actor Wes Studi (LAST OF THE MOHICANS, DEEP RISING, MYSTERY MEN, etc.)

-- 2 degrees from the NY Mets

-- 1 degree from Tiny Tim
Of course, when the net is taken into consideration, it becomes more and more possible for "just folks" like us TONMOers to correspond directly with scientific celebs like Steve-O', Richard Ellis, and Clyde Roper.

Years ago, priest / philosopher / scientist / writer Pierre Teilhard de Chardin proposed a concept called the "noosphere" (pronounced "no-oh-sphere"), which in effect would be the spiritual-mental equivalent of the atmosphere, surrounding and connecting all minds on earth into one great mind spanning the globe. Many people believe that the internet has realized this concept in an unexpected but very plausible way, uniting kindred spirits from all nations who would otherwise never have met.

The negative side of this, of course, is the proliferation of ridiculous rumors, urban legends presented as truth, and out-and-out lies, far more efficiently than they would have by word of mouth. But the way I figure, garbage is the price we have to pay for freedom of speech.

(Come to think of it, that experiment in the article might have worked better if the first group of writers had been given a really dumb, completely fabricated tabloid-type story to send to their netpals, and then recorded how long it took for the story to go around the planet and back to them -- no doubt in entirely unrecognizable form.)

BTW, here's another game for y'all -- it can be done in either one degree or six degrees. See if you can figure out both ways (there may be many solutions, but I'm thinking of two in particular):

DUSTIN HOFFMAN

lets see, was there a ceph in 'Hook'?

hoffman - ann bancroft - the graduate
banceroft - viggo mortensen - gi jane
mortensen - LOTR: Fellowship

hoffman guest starred on simpsons with dan castellaneta
numerous ceph sightings on the simpsons

hoffman - cruise - rain man
cruise - meg ryan - top gun
ryan in joe vs volcano

hoffman - geena davis - hero
davis - madonna - a league of their own
madonna in swept away

thats all i can think of right now....

Ex-cell-ent, WK -- I am most impressed (and once again reminded that I'm not as up-to-date on film facts as I used to be)!

Here's what I got for the "one degree":

• - Dustin Hoffman was in SPHERE, which featured a simulation (by the alien sphere) of an enraged Archi
Now the "six degrees" version:

• - Dustin Hoffman starred in MIDNIGHT COWBOY with Jon Voight

- Jon Voight's daughter is Angelina Jolie

- Angelina Jolie was in GIRL, INTERRUPTED with Winona Ryder

- Winona Ryder was in EDWARD SCISSORHANDS with Johnny Depp

- Johnny Depp was in ED WOOD with Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi

- Bela, the rubber Octopus. etc..... you know the drill :smile:
In retrospect, there is also a "circular" solution that incorporates elements of both the above, to wit:

• - Dustin Hoffman starred in MIDNIGHT COWBOY with Jon Voight

- Jon Voight's daughter is Angelina Jolie

- Angelina Jolie was in THE BONE COLLECTOR with Queen Latifah

- Queen Latifah was with Dustin Hoffman in SPHERE, which featured a simulation (by the alien sphere) of an enraged Archi

OK, ready for a tricky one?

PATRICK STEWART in four degrees, excluding STAR TREK: TNG in any of the degrees, and including a voice-over as one of them. Go for it, you'll find it's astounding!

ooooooh....nice one....i think ive got one....

-patrick stewart with sting in dune
-sting in adventures of baron munchausen (a personal favorite) which was directed by terry gilliam
-terry gilliam directed brazil with robert deniro
-deniro with dustin hoffman in wag the dog (another fav)
whatever hoffman path you wish....

:cheers: im kind of proud of myself for that one... i almost went the moby dick route but realised id only seen a few minutes of it and didnt know anyone else in it :goofysca:

:cthulhu: :heart: :beer:

WhiteKiboko said:
ooooooh....nice one....i think ive got one....

-patrick stewart with sting in dune
-sting in adventures of baron munchausen (a personal favorite) which was directed by terry gilliam
-terry gilliam directed brazil with robert deniro
-deniro with dustin hoffman in wag the dog (another fav)
whatever hoffman path you wish....

:cheers: im kind of proud of myself for that one... i almost went the moby dick route but realised id only seen a few minutes of it and didnt know anyone else in it :goofysca:

Fantastic, WK! And that wasn't even the one I was thinking of. You've named some films that are faves of mine too. Stewart had such a brief role in DUNE that I'm surprised anyone remembered him. And I loved MUNCHHAUSEN too, though I saw it aeons ago and I don't recall Sting in it -- what was his role? I do remember that Robin Williams had an "unlisted" major role in it (one of the "detachable head" characters), i.e., not appearing in the credits.

BRAZIL was incredible, though I was really pissed off when they showed it on TV and cut out the entire ending, thus making the last scene the one where Jonathan Pryce and Kim Greist escape together (actually Pryce's wish-fulfillment fantasy while he is being tortured to death) and changing the real, tragic ending to a happy one. Unfortunately I never saw WAG THE DOG, but it's on my "to see" list, especially since many believe that it's a case of "art-imitates-reality-imitating-art".

Patrick Stewart was brilliant in MOBY DICK -- the late Gregory Peck was a very hard act to follow (I was a big fan of GP), but Stewart definitely did the role justice.

And now here's my solution:

• - Patrick Stewart ("Sejanus") starred in an episode of I, CLAUDIUS with Patricia Quinn ("Livilla")

- Patricia Quinn ("Magenta") was in THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW with Tim Curry
    [The song "Time Warp" is the "it's astounding" reference]

- Tim Curry provides the voice of naturalist "Nigel Thornberry" in Nickelodeon cartoon series THE WILD THORNBERRYS
    [The voice-over reference]

- In one THORNBERRYS episode, the featured animal was a benign female GPO who rescued Nigel Thornberry from a deadly whirlpool

Voilà! OK, who wants to offer the next "degrees" challenge?

:mrgreen:
Ye Olde Broade

Sleep-deprived? You decide...

One degree from Tiny Tim?
I had recently found (in my town dump's freebie shack) an autographed copy of his book, "Beautiful Thoughts", which was signed to Martha Deane, a radio show hostess on WOR in New York.I had e-mailed Victoria Jackson to see if she knew any rabid Tiny Tim fans that would want it; still waiting to hear back on that one. She, of course, was on SNL (many branches from that alone), and appeared in "UHF" with "Wierd" Al Yankovic, Fran Drescher (The Nanny) and Michael Richards ("Kramer" on Seinfeld). There's a thread here leading somewhere to that gloriously silly scene in which John Wayne fights the Evil Rubber Octopus. I'm sorry. I've made all of you nice people wade through all of these quotes and parentheses for no good reason. Something compelled me... I think it was the Tiny Tim and octopus-fighting references... and lack of sleep. I'll shut up now. In-ceph-erable indeed... :bonk:

Re: Sleep-deprived? You decide...

Headfoot said:
One degree from Tiny Tim?

Hiya Headfoot --

I like your Zen sig! Yes, I and my first husband Mark were friends of Tiny (who did not want to be called "Herbert") back in '80-'81. We met him when his career was on the decline and he was performing at a small nightclub in Brooklyn. To make a long story short, we got to talking with him backstage and exchanged addresses and phone numbers. We visited him several times at his apartment in the Olcott Hotel (right near the Dakota where John and Yoko had once lived), and met his very motley assortment of friends -- of which, I guess, we were members :biggrin2: I also remember us appearing in a couple of "indie" films -- more like boring, incomprehensible home movies -- with him; attending one of his recording sessions; going to a party given for him at the Bloomin' Pub on Manhattan's Upper East Side (at which we met Miss Vicki -- who attended though long divorced from him -- and his daughter Tulip Khaury who was nine years old at the time); and an especially enjoyable memory, my getting to accompany (on the guitar) Tiny singing "As Time Goes By" onstage at the same club where we met him.

Unfortunately, when Mark and I divorced, he got all our Tiny Tim memorabilia -- including an audiotape personally dedicated to us by him, of Tiny singing old-time songs accompanied by just his ukulele. And while Mark and I are still netfriends, he has so far failed to make me a copy of the tape as I often requested.

Anyway, I remember Tiny himself as being warm, gracious, outgoing to the point of being hammy, a fascinating conversationalist with an encyclopedic knowledge of vintage American vocal music, and nutty as a pecan pie. Like Michael Jackson he had a horror of germs, but unlike Jacko he didn't let it prevent him from being a very "huggy" type. Also unlike MJ, he loved being recognized by fans in the street, and would always greet them heartily. With him, it was "what you see is what you get" -- his real personality was identical to his stage personality. He really did dye and pomade his long hair, and wear cosmetics (including foundation, powder, and blush). As he did onstage, in real life he often used the expressions "my dear friends" and "thanks be to God in Christ". (He also considered himself a devout though non-denominational Christian -- he was the only child of a Lebanese father and a Jewish mother.)

What many people didn't know about Tiny -- unless they listened to his entire albums -- was that his true voice (as opposed to the "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" falsetto) was a beautiful, rich baritone that captured the nuances of old-time crooners like Russ Columbo and early Bing Crosby, and was vastly superior to the rather weak voice of Rudy Vallee. When Tiny sang love songs from the 1930s, he could make you cry. Had he not presented such an oddball image -- which, of course, was his true self -- he could have been a fine nostalgia-pop singer. Tiny died like a trouper, just as he would have wanted to, but much too early. His death was a great loss to the music world, whether the music world acknowledged that or not.

Well, I don't know if there's any Octo tie-in here, though if you look at the "Immortalized Groaners" thread on the Cephalofun Forum, you'll find a Tiny Tim / Ceph joke that I inflicted on TONMO readers many moons ago.... 8)

Thinking Beautiful Thoughts,
Tiny Tani

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back