[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

Still going well, thanks! They hide when the lights are on, but as soon as the lights are off, they come out looking for feeding, so it's been a little tough taking any pictures or anything. They're about 2" long now.

I started feeding with the lights on. So far, only the smallest cuttle, Nib, hangs around once the lights are on. Despite being the smallest, he seems like the smartest/most unafraid of me. The others will wait until I turn out the lights to do their hunting. They've grown a LOT since starting on the shore shrimp. They can now easily take down full sized adult shore shrimp.
Oh, another little aside. I've been ordering my shrimp in 100 to 250 lot batches and the last batch from the beginning of the month came with a stowaway baby pipefish. I put him in the sump, and he seems to be feeding on those "volunteer" shrimp I have.

I have two blennies and some kind of tiny goby that were "extras" over a year ago. I also have a spade fish but he was a known hitchhiker that had no place to go so he ended up in my tank. Small pipes have not been uncommon but I don't have food for them so they have not lasted very long. When I kept horses, they did quite well. I even raised one or two of the hatchlings but the dragonette usually got the hatchlings before I could net them.

Can you describe the display? Do they swim parallel to each other and display? Just wondering if your smallest is a female? Mine was and she was the friendliest of my group.
That is exactly what happens. There's two sorts of interactions I see. The one you're describing is they line up parallel, put on contrasting patterns and often sort of "arch" their body.
The other display (maybe male/male?) is to sort of darken up, get spiky and turn their front two arms into a wavy curve.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back