[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

Can you get an eye dropper and turn it around (so the narrow part is in the bulb and you have a wider opening, but not as big as a turkey baster.

I have also used plastic tubing and just mouth siphoned small critters (careful or you get a mouthful of sea water).

Both great ideas, I will try them this evening. I've been able to catch small amphipods by just picking them out of my filter sock, but the stupid shrimp (I still can't believe I somehow managed to accidentally culture mysid shrimp) are elusive. I have ordered some mysids from sachs this morning just to be on the safe side.

LOL, your supermarket story reminds me of an aquarium story I read long ago about a single guy buying feminine hygiene products to use as filtration and getting evil looks from a mother of a good looking girl he was semi-flirting with in the line. :biggrin2:

Just a reminder that frozen daphnia seemed to make a huge difference in survival for the mysis I finally kept successfully (as well as very mild flow).

It will be interesting to compare the mysids I have coming with the ones in my tank. I can't get a good picture of them but this is basically what I'm seeing:
image.jpg

The eyes shine the same way that the peppermint shrimp does. They're very fast swimmers, and often move in sort undulating or circular motions.
Laz is still alive tonight, and I'm now pretty sure he looks bigger. He doesn't move much with the lights on, but I'm wondering if he's preying on things in the dark.

Night eating is thought to be common with new hatches because they appear to grow but are not seen to eat. It just occurred to me to wonder if the mysis "sleep" with the lights out and are easier to catch.

I just saw him move of his own accord (you know without me being anywhere near him) for the very first time, and I caught it on video! I swear he's bigger than he was, and its not just wishful thinking. Also, I'm seeing some form of debris on the bottom of the net. 'pod shells, maybe?

Some observations: Lazarus prefers to stay out of sight when the lights are on, and this usually means either suspending himself in the chaeto, or resting on the plastic net breeder crossbar. If I turn the lights out, he won't move until the room is in total darkness, and then he will come down to the bottom of the net to (I think) feed. I still haven't directly observed him feeding, but I did see him prowling around down there, and he had a dispatched amphipod right next to him. Today is day 5, and he is bigger and healthy-looking, so I'm going to assume now that he is eating. My shipment of sachs mysids arrive tomorrow.
The other eggs look about the same, although one of them looks a bit more swelled than the others. I sometimes think I see movement in there, but I really am not sure about that. A semi-transparent animal in a semi-transparent egg. :wink:
I've gotten better at catching the free range mysids. The trick seems to be to go for them just after lights out. They don't really go in much for my traps (I also tried a bristle worm trap just to see if that might work), but they do seem to congregate just outside the net breeders. I think they either like the mesh cloth for some reason, or they are trying to get at the chaeto. Either way, I grab them with my baster and deposit them within.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back