[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

I mean, I used to work in a saltwater shop with a super chilled high salinity machine we kept brine shrimp in, and so I'm pretty familiar. I'll concede they look similar enough it's possible, but I have my doubts.

Out of curiosity, I googled a bit and came up with this paper (it is on Australian brine shrimp so not relevant to your animals). It appears there are a number of varieties and telling them apart requires a lot of effort and a microscope :biggrin2:

Here is an interesting but not overly helpful (mostly because the grouping has a wide variance of size and reproduction strategy) article. It pretty much says there is a wide variety of species within the classification. The one thing is does say is that they are not found in the ocean but I am not sure that means they would not survive and give birth in an aquarium.

Last edited:
So 4 babies now. All eggs are done. I just ordered more mysids as I went thru the first 100 like in a week. Fortunately, they seem to like the other foods on offer too. Was wondering if anyone could give me a rough time table or size table of when to switch to what foods. I know they like tackling larger prey relative to their own size, but I'm just wondering about a ballpark idea. Like at this size/age try X...
I have a few of my mystery shrimp isolated, but I need to get a third breeder net I think so I can keep using circulated tank water. They don't seem to survive in an aerated container. I have confirmed they eat algae though, as I can actually see green inside their transparent bodies when I left them in with the chaeto.

Looking back at my journal, it looks like Jabba et al started eating small shore shrimp at about 3 weeks (they were still in the breeder net). I was also feeding a very small Hawaiian red shrimp sometime before that (in addition to the mysis).

The mysids are about the right proportions then. I think they may only be interested in the largest of the amphipods now, too. I've got 300 more mysids coming in tomorrow, so I'm picking critters out of my filter sock till then. May try moving on to shore shrimp next week though just to see, (or at least see if I can keep those alive so I'll have them on hand immediately.) They all hate being observed feeding, but the mysids all disappear the fastest.

Hi!
On very few occasions I've seen mine eat, so I think they mainly eat after dark. I've also started acclimatising mine to brighter metal halide lighting, as I'll probably remove them from the net breeder in the next two weeks. Once they are on shore shrimp, they seem to grow extremely fast. Interrestingly the few times I've seen them take shore shrimp during daylight hours was when the shrimp was gut loaded about an hour before hand with Ocean Nutrition marine flakes.

BTW, You will start noticing that they eventually learn who feeds them. I've had two of mine spit water at me!, didnt even know they could do that..?!? Also they get used to someone scrathing around in the breeder. I've had one that gave me a tiny black fart when I moved the Cheato around too much for it's liking.

Interesting! I wonder if they can sense the gut loaded shrimp somehow. I have T5 lights on my tank, but I only keep them on about 6 hours a day. Doesn't matter to them tho, they seem to know its not really night time until it's actually night. The oldest hatchling is 11 days old.

Haha I can't wait. So far, no one has inked me, although I've noticed a few of them are very quick to change colors on me. They tend to be white when at rest (probably because the breeder net is white?), yellowish when the lights are out and they're prowling around and red if I get too close/annoy them.

Yeah, you're spot on on the colours. So glad you're enjoying them, there are so few people keeping them. Here in South Africa, I only know of one person that's ever brought them in, but couldn't keep them alive (fed them Guppy fry). I'm so hooked on the Cuttles that I've sold most of my fish and stinging corals (cuttle tank connected to my main display tank), so let's see, and keep sharing info. If ever you need expert help contact @DWhatley, she has been AWESOME in sharing knowledge!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back