• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Lazarus, Nib, Blot and Rorschach - Sepia bandensis journal

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Night eating is thought to be common with new hatches because they appear to grow but are not seen to eat. It just occurred to me to wonder if the mysis "sleep" with the lights out and are easier to catch.

I just saw him move of his own accord (you know without me being anywhere near him) for the very first time, and I caught it on video! I swear he's bigger than he was, and its not just wishful thinking. Also, I'm seeing some form of debris on the bottom of the net. 'pod shells, maybe?

Regarding the sleeping mysis: might be right. They seem much more active during the day than at night ( could be why my trap wasn't effective, when I tried to lure them out)

Some observations: Lazarus prefers to stay out of sight when the lights are on, and this usually means either suspending himself in the chaeto, or resting on the plastic net breeder crossbar. If I turn the lights out, he won't move until the room is in total darkness, and then he will come down to the bottom of the net to (I think) feed. I still haven't directly observed him feeding, but I did see him prowling around down there, and he had a dispatched amphipod right next to him. Today is day 5, and he is bigger and healthy-looking, so I'm going to assume now that he is eating. My shipment of sachs mysids arrive tomorrow.
The other eggs look about the same, although one of them looks a bit more swelled than the others. I sometimes think I see movement in there, but I really am not sure about that. A semi-transparent animal in a semi-transparent egg. :wink:
I've gotten better at catching the free range mysids. The trick seems to be to go for them just after lights out. They don't really go in much for my traps (I also tried a bristle worm trap just to see if that might work), but they do seem to congregate just outside the net breeders. I think they either like the mesh cloth for some reason, or they are trying to get at the chaeto. Either way, I grab them with my baster and deposit them within.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle Nicole

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak