• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Lava Rock Bad?

One of my fellow reefers told me that I shouldn't have just lava rock in my saltwater setup - especially because it was sitting in freshwater for a long time.

There is no growth on any of the lava rock, so I decided to put some Fiji and tonga live rock in there. I bought about 35 pounds of LR today and dropped it in my 50 gallon.

I guess my question is should I leave the lava rock in there or slowly take it out over time?

I used a lot of lava rock as base rock. It is very porous, so if you mixed it with live rock, it should become "live" after a few months of being in with the real live rock. The only problems you should have from it being in a freshwater tank are if you used any tank treatment chemicals.

The problem with using it is that it's not serving as a biological filter like real live rock. You should use it primarily to fill space, building on top of it with the live rock.

I found that lace rock is closer in appearance to live rock than your typical lava rock, but hey, as long as it's porous it will eventually serve better purpose than a lot of the stuff I see used as base rock.

We actually have a 30lb chunk of limestone or "holey" rock in our seahorse tank that was ugly green when we started the tank, but now it's covered in coralline, worms, and corals.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back