Latin Names

What a lovely theme for your network! The French philosophers and Star Wars characters that my tech person works with cannot compete, no matter how much I like to hear "JarJar is dead."

Bimaculoides and briareus are the most common species in TONMO community home tanks right now. Dolfleini is bigger.

Are you stuck on octos or would squid and cuttlefish be acceptable? Sepia officianalis is a cuttle. Dosidicus, Architeuthis and Mesonychoteuthis are big squids. What genus is the nautilus?

You'll find more, possibly even with correct spelling, throughout the site. Try the Tree of Life site, too.

Melissa

O. vulgaris!!!!! Goooooood little octo!

And not to be picky but they are now called Scientific names rather than latin names as most things are named after people now and have nothing to do with latin at all.

The plural as far as I can tell is Octopusses because it if from the greek meaning foot mouthed or something similar (They have their feet round their mouths) and the greeks didn't have plurals with ii at the end like it is in latin.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this tho!

~Andy

I am probably as close to an expert on Cthulhu as you can get, having founded a large chunk of my "career" on 1920's pulp author H.P. Lovecraft's coat tails, as well as forming a rock band that is in large part a Lovecraft homage (including a song called "Jimmy the Squid" which I should probably convert to mp3 for you guys).

kuh-TOOL-oo
or kuh-THOOL-oo

are the most common pronunciations, but it's all beside the point as the word "Cthulhu" is only an approximation of a name that is unpronouncable by human tongues. So pronouncing it "puh-NELL-uh-PEE" is just as correct.

I think our next band shirt is going to be an anatomical diagram of some kind of squid (if I can find a good one that is suitable for silk-screening - I'm guessing there aren't any of mesonychoteuthis).

:cthulhu:

Sorry to add to the digression...
(or am I?) :wink:

Toren said:
I think our next band shirt is going to be an anatomical diagram of some kind of squid (if I can find a good one that is suitable for silk-screening - I'm guessing there aren't any of mesonychoteuthis).

:cthulhu:

Sorry to add to the digression...
(or am I?) :wink:

Take a look at the science articles. Just hit the Science button up top and scroll down. Kat and Steve gave us an article on giant and colossal squid, complete with scary pictures. :squidaut:

Melissa

:archi: :mesonych:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back