• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Largest possible

Wygreph

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I have a 24 gallon nano cube that i have made small modifications to in order to keep an octopus, i would keep one in my 55, but it would be too expensive to purchase all that is required for the sump and sealing off the aquarium from escape. I was wondering, what is the largest possible species of octopus i can keep in a 24 gallon?

I dont reccomend anything in a 24g octo-wise. But if you aren't ready to pay for a full octo tank in your 55 then I am guessing an O.Briaerus (did i spell that right?), or dwarf octopus might work. Or you could start a baby bimac out in the small tank and move it up to the big one when you have the money to set up your 55g.

I wouldn't think very long since the life span of octopus is pretty short...you could probably get a good couple months in though

...the problem is it is going to take a couple of months to cycle the big tank! If you're going to put a baby octopus in a small tank, you really need to have the big tank circulating the same day.

Dan

You could start a baby briareus in the small tank, giving the small tank a couple of more months to cycle before you get the octopus. Or, put the briareus in your large, already-cycled tank. A briareus gets fairly big: up to 5 inches for the body, but almost two feet for the arms. I suppose you could put it in a 55, but a 75 would give it more room.

My experience with briareus would suggest that it could live in the small tank until it was 4-4 1/2 months old. So a couple of months, depending on how old it was when you got it.

As far as lifespan, you might have a briareus for 10 months, if all goes well.

Nancy

Looks like the guy on Ebay selling briareus actually Tom's Tropicals from the resources on the ceph page. I contacted him about a vulgaris. They is using the same photo from Tom's Caribbean and are in the same location.
The email I got was from Dana though.

it's unfortunate because my local fish stores only seem to carry blue-ring octos, and the one that does ship other kinds of octos never knows what the species name is from the person shiping...just that it's going to be small

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back