• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Larger octopus quest

Hello everyone,
I have had quite a few octos in the past years (bimacs, vulgaris, and an unidentified species) but I am looking for advice on the future. My previous octos were in the standard size range for "trade" available octos. I am right now deciding how my basement remodel is going to pan out an i need to decide between FW stingrays or an Octo. I have kept and bred FW stingrays as well so i am well versed in husbandry of both options. I need to know what options are available currently or commercially for larger octopus that would fill out a 135 cube tank. I am looking for an active diurnal octo that would hopefully max out in the 48"+ arm span. If I go with the rays they will likely be in another custom bar like the one in my old house.
. I currently have a 250gallon display with 450gal TWV reef setup and I have been keeping reef aquariums for 17 years just so everyone knows I am not in middle school asking my parents for allowance and permission to do this. I have used your website over the years for fantastic reasearch. Thanks for your educated advice.

Derek

Last edited:
I know of three cephalopods you might consider (with their short lifespan, the option to alternate in the future would remain open with a bit of preplanning.

#1 Octopus cyanea. It is large (but smaller than a GPO), warm water, diurnal, active and a facinating animal. There is actually a new facility offering wild caught animals, discussed here with a link to the site.

#2 Octopus vulgaris. The common octopus is not so common in the hobby market and hard to source. The US animals are smaller than their Mediterranean cousins (but would not get lost in your tank), can live in relatively warm water (low to mid 70's) are crepuscular rather than diurnal (but can be seen out and about even in situ at varying times) and tend to be the animals that interact most with divers.

#2 Sepia officinalis. There are actually three large cuttlefish (Sepia latimanus (broadclub) and Sepia apama) and that are seen in public aquariums but the common cuttlefish tends to be the favorite for personality by both home and public keepers. To house one you will need to be able to round the corners and preferably pad the sides as they tend to jet when startled. The larger cuttlefish need a cool to cold water environment. Sourcing any of them is a problem even for acquiring eggs as there are no native cuttlefish in the Western Hemisphere.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back