Kooah - O.briareus

:goodbye: Sweet littls Kooah.

The green does show, she is beautiful. It is suprising how attached we ge to them. How wonderful that this time you have her legacy to live on. Take care of yourself too, don't over do it. The photos and postings are great. Thank you for sharing so much even though you are so exhausted.

I usually don't dream or maybe just don't remember but last night I had a dream that Diablo had babies. There were little babies everywhere in the tank. What a nightmare. I think it is a combination of me dreading Diablo wil brood before I get her in the 120 and your thread. :octorun:

Sorry that she's gone. Seems unpredictable whether octopuses live long after the eggs have hatched or not.
Thanks to your excellent jounal, I've been following Kooah since the begining.

RIP Kooah :angelpus:

Nancy

Kooah

D, thanks for sharing this wonderful thread and your knowledge. This is Susann from ARC. Hopefully you are still getting some rest, but I'm sorry to hear that you did not have a bit longer with her.

It was rather abrupt without segway but then so was her passing. She was active and well colored when the babies were hatching. I wish we knew more about what actually causes octos deaths. Not so much what causes senesence (that too of course) but what actuallly stops functioning and what symptoms can be observed. With Sisturus, I would have guessed a gill heart stopped and then the rest shut down. With Kooah, I am wondering about either the central heart or some other cause of death. The one arm still being able to move and slightly grasp with the suckers was very strange. All other arms were liveless and there was no suggestion of life unless I stroked the eyes. The eye reaction was not a normal iris contraction but more of a withdrawl behind the skin, I don't think there was any iris reaction.

When my first octo died, (still in the tank)she didnt move, hadnt taken a breath several hours but her color would still change if I turned on or off the light. Her eyes didnt react her arms didnt move, but her color would change. For a while I just watched her and the coloring trying to figure out if she was dead or just badly stunned or what. It was very strange.

Kooah's Hatchlings - O.briareus

Kooah's Brood dates of noted development:
Laid: ~ April 9
Eyes: May 7
Color: May 10
Hearts: May 13
Chromatophores: May 18
Full Moon: May 27
Hatching: May 28

I could not count the number of hatchlings that emerged from Kooah's clutch and I believe they all hatched during the full moon on May 27th. It is possible that a small second hatching occured on the 28th but at her death on the 29th all eggs had hatched with no sign of infertile or dead eggs. I will guestimate the total at ~75 hatchlings

I put together a series of egg development photos taking the best of what the camera (and photographer) could manage peeking into her den. The final photo in the series was taken of the rock removed from the tank. The additional photo is a branch taken from the emptied egg cluster. The stem was a ridgid, hard, crusty material that felt more like a rough coral than any part of an octopus.

I have offered the hatchlings to members of the Atlanta Reef Club and will journal any takers in the TONMOCON forum as a Minicon and have asked anyone taking the hatchlings to journal the experience. Existing TONMO member are, of course, welcomed but, from my experience trying to transport Connay's hatchlings, I know these won't ship and will not even survive a long car trip.

I created a new journal for my own results with the hatchlings.

Attachments

• conv_296477.jpg
    conv_296477.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 133
  • conv_296474.png
    conv_296474.png
    823.4 KB · Views: 126
  • conv_296475.jpg
    conv_296475.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 132
  • conv_296476.jpg
    conv_296476.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 124
So sorry to hear about Kooah...But I prefer a fast death and I would like to think it is easier on them as well. The lingering is very hard to experience. Keeping fingers crossed for the little ones! That is awesome and if anyone can successfully do this, it's you D!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am going to be holding my breath (between smokes) for a long time (I hope) on these guys but sharing with some of our local reef people (who have never seen an octopus up close and personal) has really added to the experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back