[Octopus]: Kobe - Abdopus aculeatus

Today I put a piece of shrimp inside the snap-on container (I previously put the crab in) to see if he could do it again. Well as you can see from the vid, he opened the container and took out the shrimp out with no trouble at all. Next I am going to try the same experiment with a loosely screwed on jar lid. Stay tuned :smile:.

Fed Kobe a live red-claw crab I bought this weekend at my LFS. Initially he did show any interest in it and I considered removing it from the tank; then suddenly he pounced on it. As you can see from the video, he didn't leave much for the scavengers in the tank. Didn't try the jar experiment yet, will probably try at the next feeding of a piece of shrimp.

Kobe has been with me for over a month now and is still doing very well. He has become adept at getting his food out of the container with a snap on cap as you can see from the video. As yet, I have not found a suitable jar to try, but will continue searching for one.

The seem to learn to ignore dogs pretty quickly but I have problems with our dogs deciding they have a captive audience when I am photographing the octo tanks or have one hand in the tank. Some how this equates to a good opportunity to demand to be petted. It is hard to ignore a dog that weighs 20 pound less than I do and has a hard, bony head.

I saw the construction but was not quite sure what was inside. Is there a maze or shelves of just a way to go between the two. Is it part Lego?

Sorry I'm just seeing this now. Can I ask what kind of dog you're referring to? I have four, one of which is a Great Dane and the newest addition is a Saint Dane (half saint Bernard, half great dane). I know what you mean about a dog weighing just slightly less than you.... this guy is going to OUTWEIGH me in about 4 months yet he still thinks he's a lap dog! :smile:

Depending upon the year, we have had a Dane, Newfie, Irish Wolfhound and medium (active) mixed breed while keeping octopuses. Always two at a time (Dane & Newfie, Newfie & Irish, Irish and mixed) so the attention demands have been from two, usually large dogs at the same time. The octopuses have all adapted to the dogs being in an out of the room (obviously quite visible) and the dogs get it that we are trapped when we are at the fish tanks so it has led to some funny moments. Oddly, the dogs do not seem to take an interest to what is actually IN the tank.

Kobe seems to react to our dog's sudden movement when she is in front of the tank. Dakota, is a Brittany and weighs approx. 45 lbs. She has zero interest in the tanks (there are 3) or what is inside. She only wants us to throw her ball as she constantly wants to play; which means she occasionally runs in front of the tank.

Thanks Sirreal. Yesterday marks Kobe's 5th week in his home and he remains very active and also very interactive. I do believe he has a personality and lets me know when he is happy to see me and when he is not happy with me. He also definitely lets me know when he is ready to be fed. He is fun to watch, I'm very fortunate to have one that is not nocturnal.

Today is day 45 for Kobe and he continues to thrive. He is eating consistently and still very active during the day. I typically feed him a chunk of frozen shrimp every other day. I also give him a live red claw crab once a week to keep his hunting instincts sharp. Yesterday he got his live "treat" for the week and quickly pounced on it. This past week our interaction has evolved to him letting me touch him between the eyes as he moves across the glass. He seems to want me to touch him as he tends climb up to where my fingers are pressed against the glass. These touches are brief, but he does not even flinch from the contact. So far, I have only let him touch me once with one of his out stretched arms; as he quickly becomes quite "grabby" and I am not confident he recognizes my fingers are not food, :smile:.

Sedna I truly understand, Kobe is the by far the most active and interactive octopus I have had...I am very lucky. I am glad to hear Maurice is doing well. I hope he becomes more interactive for you.

Here are two new Kobe videos. The first one is him doing what I can only say is having a fit. Obviously I can't prove it, but he only acts like this when he seems to be agitated. He presses his mantle backwards against the glass and moves with exaggerated movements. He also flares up and will occasionally shoot across the tank.

The 2nd video is Kobe hunting and capturing a red claw crab. Initially he is too busy "dancing" on the glass and doesn't see the crab until the crab moves too quickly away from Kobe and draws attention to itself. As you can see from the vid it was all over at that point.

Today is Day 65 for Kobe, :smile:. While I have had a few live longer, he has been by far the most interactive. I have included a few more video showing his daily activity when the lights are on. He ate another live crab yesterday and D I agree with you regarding QueenB's octo; Kobe only leaves an empty shell and the legs & claws after he is done.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back