"Killer Squid" on Discovery!!!

Honestly, I don't mean to leave anyone dangling... to be honest, its probably nothing too earth-shattering for anyone on the board, BUT its exciting for me... I need to head to the Marine Lab tomorrow. I will post the photos ASAP. Sorry! :smile:

Killer Squid was on over here (UK) recently. I'm in the middle of writing my uni dissertation on natural history documentaries and this thread is brilliant stuff. I was all set writing about the misleading (if accidentally) previous squid documentaries, and wondering 'wouldn't it be obvious to ask if the squid would behave differently when not being fished' when I came across genetobaja's post on here. It just makes me wonder why DeGruy felt a need to be so clear cut. Surely if anything is learned it's actually closer to what genetobaja says- that the squid are unpredictable. So yes, sometimes they may be inquisitive and gentle, but they can also attack without provocation. Why not be content with that?

:wecome: to TONMO... there are a number of threads around that express frustration that documentaries often exaggerate controversy or danger or drama, so I suspect that's part of the reason why there are some obvious gaps in sensibility. There's a thread about a documentary on the History Channel that has some reports of the experiences of the people filmed, and the way it was reported in a great deal of detail that might be of interest for your thesis research: Giant Squid footage on History Channel

good luck with your thesis... if you're allowed, please let us know when it's done and we can read it!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back