• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Killed by Fiddler Crabs

mblackburn

Hatchling
Registered
My baby Brown Pacific was torn up by small fiddler crabs last night. Just a reminder to start slow with introducing crabs to a baby. I think six was too many at once and they outnumbered it. It was missing half of its legs and was squeezed into a crevice of rock.

I agree that food (live or dead) should be limited to one meal in the tank at a time but it is always very hard to diagnose cause of death without direct observation. Crabs are typically scavengers and are more likely to prey on dead or dying than healthy animals. That being said, very young animals are quite vulnerable. The missing arms are not a symptom of attack though. It is not uncommon for small octos to never be found because they begin to disintegrate immediately and are scavenged rapidly.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back