[Octopus]: Kestra

I was working in the tank and startled Kestra, who responded by picking up a nearby hermit crab. She then spent some time cruising the glass while holding on to her prize before she made off into the rocks with it. I’m not sure what became of the crab- I know she’s eaten a few, but she’s ignored them lately as she seems to prefer the salmon or shrimp we feed her.

I added some live mysis shrimp to the tank on Friday, and caught some great video of Kestra hunting them yesterday while we were watching the rocket launch. It’s very difficult to decide where to divide my attention, because Kestra was being a spectacular as the launch! 🤣.

I added some live mysis shrimp to the tank on Friday, and caught some great video of Kestra hunting them yesterday while we were watching the rocket launch. It’s very difficult to decide where to divide my attention, because Kestra was being a spectacular as the launch! 🤣.

Last night we had our local fish club meeting on line. Kestra decided to come out near the tail end of the meeting which was cool because they finally got to see her. It’s mostly freshwater keepers, so they were impressed! 😂.

This morning she is exploring the new zoanthids in her tank. 🙄. I’m not sure that they polyps appreciated the hugs so much... She’s really turning out to be one of the best octopuses EVER!

Attachments

• 0035E019-9483-4B20-B966-37AA6AB4A3DC.jpeg
    0035E019-9483-4B20-B966-37AA6AB4A3DC.jpeg
    769 KB · Views: 195
  • 07C62823-707A-40A2-B3C0-6356721F04E6.jpeg
    07C62823-707A-40A2-B3C0-6356721F04E6.jpeg
    767.7 KB · Views: 174

Kestra is a joy!!! She is so lovely and personable, really a sweet disposition. She has grown to love tank cleaning time as a chance for interaction, as octopuses usually do. When she gets bigger it will be more challenging, as I already have a “distraction-person” on hand! 🤣

I really am going to have to stop being lazy and glue the zoanthids in place on the rocks. Occasionally, Kestra will have a mind to move them around. Not very often, but enough to keep them from ever being properly anchored into one place. Funny though, I like them better where she put them!

Our friend with cancer, Glenn Clark, gave us this glow in the dark plastic ball for Anya, but she was brooding when he came for his first octopus visit. So far, Kestra seems totally unimpressed by it. I’ve filled it with water so it wouldn’t be too buoyant, but she’s still mostly disinterested. She’s rather the toothbrush any day!

I’ve got some zoanthids and a couple gorgonia. Actually the entire live stock of this tank- including live rock, is all from the same supplier we got Kestra from. KP Aquatics is a small family owned business in the Florida Keys- we wanted to re-create an environment that was as natural as possible, and I think it’s awesome!

No problems with the corals being irritated by being touched too much and no concern about stinging or sweepers, etc?
So far everything is fine! Kestra has inadvertently knocked the zoas down, but once in place she ignores them. The only ones who harass the “purple plumes” are the shrimps and hermit crabs, but that’s just because they climb on them. There are four clumps of zoas- all the same kind, and two types of “plume.”

To be honest, I emailed Philip at KP Aquatics and gave him the tank dimensions and our ultimate plan for it, and asked for his suggestions. He knew an octopus was in the mix (he caught it! 🤣) so he helped with appropriate suggestions of what he had in stock. In 12 years this is the first time I’ve kept corals with my octopus, I LOVE how the tank looks!

So far everything is fine! Kestra has inadvertently knocked the zoas down, but once in place she ignores them. The only ones who harass the “purple plumes” are the shrimps and hermit crabs, but that’s just because they climb on them. There are four clumps of zoas- all the same kind, and two types of “plume.”

To be honest, I emailed Philip at KP Aquatics and gave him the tank dimensions and our ultimate plan for it, and asked for his suggestions. He knew an octopus was in the mix (he caught it! 🤣) so he helped with appropriate suggestions of what he had in stock. In 12 years this is the first time I’ve kept corals with my octopus, I LOVE how the tank looks!

I am planning the same thing. Thinking of softies and hardy non-stinging corals that can tolerate lower lights and temps.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back