• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Kestra

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Kestra hasn’t shown anything but an arm poking out from underneath a rock for three day’s now... I put some shore shrimp I’d ordered into the tank, and I think she’s in a “good coma.” Yesterday I shined a flashlight into her den and she responded by throwing out a shrimp carcass she was finished with... 🙄. So I guess now I’m housekeeping...

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member

So for fun, I took this video of Kestra in “selfie mode.” Please forgive the wicked bad reflection, there was no way to take the video otherwise. People are always asking me to take videos of my octopus is looking at themselves, so I decided to see if it would even work.

In NO WAY will I claim that I believe she recognizes her self in the video! I have no way of knowing if she could even see the phone outside of the tank at the angle I was holding it. But, it’s pretty interesting the way she stopped and waved her arm on the glass. I see her do that once in a while whether or not there is a camera on her, but the way she stopped first was a little different.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
So, be a bit more "scientific" and repeat the experiment several times an see if you get a similar reaction?

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lryan

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak