• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Kermit & #2 - Octopus Bimaculoides Hatchlings

:smile: When he was a tiny inklet he was in a little 5G petco tank at 72-75 degrees. Once summer hit I moved him into a bigger chilled tank, and then finally to the main display (75G). So, it may be doable at the higher temperature since they're intertidal. But I'm not sure what long term higher temperatures would do for their lifespan.

Guess who's turning one tomorrow? That's right, Kermit! Yes, I'm a huge nerd, but raising him from a 10 day old inklet has been one of the coolest experiences ever! Happy Birthday Kermit!

:birthday: I saw your note on FB a few seconds ago and was going to suggest :roll: adding the milestone here. Before I finished watching the the latest JPL talk, however, I saw a second email and came to see the images. Great composit!

Thanks!

So, Kermit has been acting a little odd lately. He's out of his den 80% of the time, and a bit agitated (running into the side of the tank occasionally). He's still hunting and eating.

I'm wondering if he has outgrown his den that he carved out under the rocks, so I am going to get him a chiclid rock today (large hollow rock) to see if he likes that better. A large beer bottle has also been suggested, but I don't know that he would squeeze down the neck. He's a lazy bum.

Hopefully that's all it is, but he is almost 15 months and could be coming to the end of his life span. Sadness thought. :frown:

Personality changes usually suggest a life change. He may be "looking" for a mate. Senescence is not an immediate "thing" though (albeit most of us miss the signs until just before the end) so you still may have quite a bit of time. I do think their eyes are effected with age and Diego lost his sense of up and down a month or two before he passed on. I felt it was because his tank was warmer than a natural habitat but also considered the possibility of pathogens in a Caribbean system since we fought eye infections several times over his life span.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back