Kenny's Journal

OK, quick responses here please, I came home from work and Kenny is actually out of hiding, and with the light on. He is up where the sponge return is from the skimmer. Is this normal- should I be worried or checking anything? So far I have checked the nitrates and they are ok-well, there is a slight color on the test but not enough to register-- I think that would be .2 and I am in the process of testing the nitrites now.

It's always good to check as many water params as you can when an octo changes behavior, just to be safe, but it could easily be that he's just getting more comfortable or he's found a "new cool spot." Fontanelle (Thales' wunderpus) used to hang out behind the overflow, so it's not really unusual behavior... If he were trying to climb out of the water completely, that would be more worrisome.

yeah no climbing but according to the species reading this guy likes it warm so riight now its 84 and it says to stay between 80 and 98

If you are worried that the skimmer is damaging the octopus, turn it off for a while and see if the octopus stays there or not.

As for your light cycle, I wouldn't be planning a dramatic change. Over time you should be able to ween the octopus to a longer cycle, just don't do it quickly. Maybe a half hour more per week, as long as the octo seems used to the cycle he is on already. If the red light is the only light reaching the tank during the day, I suggest increasing that to give some daylight to your pet. Red is difficult for an octopus to see, which is why it is used for moonlights and is great for nocturnal species. If the octopus you have is truly Abdopus Aculeatus, it should be diurnal and I would guess that it hiding is just because it is not used to it's environment yet. With just red light and no light, you aren't giving your octopus much of a variation between day and night and it is probably going to stick to the schedule it had in the wild longer than if there was substantial difference. Remember if you do plan on changing the light cycle, do it slowly so you don't shock your animal.

Also 80 to 94 seems extremely hot for any species, though I am not a researcher :smile:

Glad to hear Kenny is getting more interactive. I hope your good luck with him continues.

Yeah, the temp is what worried me but It was the study that mosthated sent me. Since reaching the 80 mark he does seem more active. As far as the skimmer-I wasnt worried bout it hurting him, just that him being there might be a sign of something wrong. Oh, and the the light cycle-- right now there is ambient light in that room all day-my living room and has a sliding glass door with the shade always open. The red is on a timer on at 9am and off at 7pm for now. is that ok?

Here are some shots I just got of him--the blurry one is just to give arm length

Attachments

• conv_291974.jpg
    conv_291974.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 86
  • conv_291975.jpg
    conv_291975.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 76
  • conv_291976.jpg
    conv_291976.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_291977.jpg
    conv_291977.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 72
The only thing that I am worried about now is he is sitting there on the rock and acting like the first octo attempt I had--kinda turning his legs into knots. I have been told they do that to shed tentacles but because of last time I am a bit concerned. ok, alot :frown:

hopefully hes just active and not as shy anymore, if that is the case then you are very lucky, and hopefully mine will follow. I just found out it might not have been Fecha who ate the shrimp earlier =( since i just found a crab that was in there eating one. (it has been take out now)

his color looks still looks good, i was told they should be about 12" when they reach fullsize, so you can judge age by that a lil bit.. i wouldnt worry about that either, mine seems to curl its legs a lot and it will dangle two legs down a lot, sometimes it looks like it is standing on top of my maxijet with two legs touching the top of it and the rest curled up, but he is always pressed against the glass too. (he is just playing tricks on me). i would be happy he is out and about.

also my octo has rejected any offerings of shrimp since i added the fiddler crabs to the tank, i have found the remains of one eaten crab.. so i guess they like them.. he might be out hunting, if you dont have any in the tank i would add one or two.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back