• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Keeping Squids

I don't think crabs would be an appropriate food for pelagic squid; you need something that hovers in the water column, swimming freely and with a rather jerky motion, rather than something that sits on the sea floor. But it really does depend on the type of squid you have (crabs are probably fine for cuttles/benthic/bentho-pelagic squid).
Cheers
O

the local home centers here have started selling pvc plastic free form ponds, from 75 - 200 gallons in size...perhaps one of those would work for some small squidlets?
WK, on the issue of dogs: an aquaintance of mine breeds reticulated pythons, and his wife bred (note the past tense) rottweilers (sic?) ...his 23' , 300 lb female decided to escape one day, and of course...some dogs were missing! We did find a collar in one of the feces though...tag and all. Yikes!
Greg

Before you even consider pond sizes you must get some photographs of the squid it is that you are considering keeping alive (even photographs of dead specimens will do - in fact they are preferred - please take pics of both top and bottom of the squid, and of the tentacle club - the expanded end of the tentacle), and provide some collection data (location, depth). With a pic I can make a provissional/tentative identification, and give you a rough idea what sort of tank shape, diameter (if cylindrical) and height you will need, and what sort of prey you will need to feed it. Otherwise you could end up just killing the little guys and getting frustrated.
Ta
O

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back