Keeping an octo journal

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Calling all Tonmo octo keepers....

You need to be keeping an octo journal, so that you have a good record of your octo as it grows, its behavior, eating, problems, tank conditions, etc. This will help you in the future, may help others with their octopuses, and will help if problems develop. Besides, you'll forgot all those fun things your octo did, or get the dates mixed up if you don't keep a record.

This is what I did with Ollie:
I tried to write a paragraph a day online - but realistically, it was 4 or 5 times a week. This was a descripiton of what she was doing, what she was eating, her color changes, play, etc.

For the tank conditions, water changes and quick notes, I used a nice spiral bound journal with heavy blank pages. I wrote in the results of all tests, water changes and made notes of things to put online. Sometimes it was easier to write a paragraph there, so I did. There was room for sketches, too.

I also tried to take photos every week or so, but when she was doing something worth a pic - so I have over 100 photos. You've seen many of them.

I hope you all will all make some attempt to do this as well, even if it is in an a less-detailed form. Be sure to keep reporting on your octo here, too.

And a request - last year a couple of our sibling owners just stopped reporting in. We never knew what happened to their bimacs. For the sake of the present and future members of our Tonmo octo family, please keep reporting in, even if the news is sad.

So enjoy your octopuses and write down a line now and again!

Nancy

Re: Keeping an octo journal

Nancy said:
And a request - last year a couple of our sibling owners just stopped reporting in. We never knew what happened to their bimacs. For the sake of the present and future members of our Tonmo octo family, please keep reporting in, even if the news is sad. Nancy

Soooooooorrreeyyyyy :cry: :lol:
I guess I did drop off the face of the Earth (or tonmo) last year. When I got back online, Ollie was more famous than Michael Jackson. If I'd hung around and kept posting, maybe Roxy could have been a magazine octopus :smile: Well I guess it's Truffles turn.
John

Hey, I didn't mean you and Roxy :smile: - we had a couple of others that just disappeared and we never heard from them again.

So, we'll aim to make Truffles famous, too! Maybe all the siblings could appear in an article :biggrin2:

Nancy

Sounds good, It would make an awesome article on the lives of a half dozen sibling octopuses :bluering: :bluering: :bluering: :bluering: :bluering: :bluering: that lived their lives out in different parts of the country. I'll start keeping a journal.

Yes, it would make an interesting story!

I was surprised when I read over the 50 pages of Olllie's life - it was quite entertaining and she really did a lot of different things. And think of the time Roxy escaped during the move!

So here's to the bimac siblings! :cheers:

Nancy

Oi.... the Smiley.Overkill worm must be in effect... :smile:

Nancy, any chance of scanning the pages and/or disclosing the text? I think itd be an interesting read... not to mention a possible way of giving insight to other bimac owners (seeing if behavior is totally abnormal, etc)

who knows, maybe we could whip up an Octo Pantheon, with the complete histories of multiple 'generations'

I'll see what needs to be done to the journal. Some of it is in hard copy still, and there is extraneous material in the online version.
I'd like to put it together in good form.

When we have a number of these journals, it will help future bimac owners a lot!

Nancy

Started Ashi's Journal today. :smile: I'm using ms Word format. I wish I had the time to work on my web site, I'd just update there a few times a week.

Spring :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back