Katy's first octopus! Species?

Oh yes, definitely worth it. I was enthralled to watch as it is the first time I've really seen an octopus doing something in real life. I have only seen them on TV before until I brought him home with me on Tuesday.

I'm thrilled now, it seems I have a healthy little octopus!

Little one must have been very hungry. Nice shot of it breaking up the food.

You have mentioned that your sight is not good but in this case, this is the nature of the beast. Most of us have tales of looking all over for our octos just to find them sitting right in front. Monty is particularly good at this and Neal comments on it at least 3 times a week.

Well well, the little octo suddenly got very active last night! I had a bit of a shock when after days of silence I glanced over during some gaming and saw this:

He quickly lost me (at 55 seconds) but a few minutes later I had more success:

This is the first time I've seen him out in full.

After a while he went back to this hidey hole so I tried to lure him out with some food. By goodness he is strong (fast forward to 2:40):

An hour or two later I saw him building:

Can anyone just let me know if he looks healthy and ok? I'm really impressed as I wasn't expecting to see him for some time more yet.

Is anyone able to figure out its gender? I have a boy name and a girl name but not sure which to use :P

Looks like you had a great weekend! :biggrin2:
Your octopus looks great. It is so rewarding when they show curiosity towards us. Their strength is suprising, my daughter was convinced one of mine was trying to pull her in.
Have you read this thread? http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?17760-Sexing-an-Octopus-Photos-of-Hectocotylized-Arm I could not begin to make a guess (sex) from the videos. Some of mine have had me very perplexed for months. Keep observing and post photos.

glad to hear everything is going good...i just want to thank you for actually listening to the many people on the site and not rushing anything

Last I heard from her things were going great. With all the new video games that have been released this year I know she has been pretty busy.

she still posts video of her octo on Facebook too.

this was her last video from Jan 30.

Hi guys - yes my PC is broke so it's really hard to post. I have uploaded pics and vids from my phone direct to Twitter, Facebook and YouTube as it's all integrated. I added 50 pics to the Facebook album and I think there's about a dozen videos on YouTube now. The octopus seems to be doing just great, becoming progressively more active with each passing day. I've named her Ali :smile:

Typing awkwardly from my phone. I'm worried about my octopus, normally she is out and about every night but I now haven't seen her for over a week. She has stuffed up her den real good with shells and pebbles. I know she's in there and alive because two days I dislodged the shells and the following days they were back in place. I tried offering food three times on different days. The first time a grumpy arm appeared and pushed it away, but no response at all now.

Could there be something awry with the tank? Or is it possible she is old and has laid eggs already? I've only had her just over a month, she seemed very happy, active and interested in everything til last week. No problems with food, we faught every day over it!

Any advice appreciated.

Katy.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back