• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Kang - Senescence?

Thanks for the update.

It's sad to watch an octopus decline - all of them seem to have eye problems at this stage in their lives.

On the positive side, it's good that you can still interact with Kang and she still wants to play a bit. You've taken good care of her.

Please continue to keep us posted.

Nancy

Well. Ironically today was the day. Mother's Day. The Mighty Kang is dead. I have had a blast though the last 2 days. Kang has been out like her old self, morning noon and night, interacting, and for about 2 hrs yesterday, played like old times. She was able to play tug of war and even jetted once while doing laps around the tank. This fortunately was a good note to end her story on, a positive, as there werent too many over her quick decline. How ironic though, that on Mother's Day, in lieu of senescence, that she expired. I am now trying to locate eggs, to see if the saga continues. So far though, none have been found in either nest/den. I'll keep looking though to see if Kang has a legacy I can care for next.

Very sorry to hear about Kang. I've enjoyed following her exploits.
So glad you had a couple of good days to play with her at the end. She will be missed by all of us.

You may not find any eggs - bristle worms will eat them, and sometimes an octo will, too. They may or may not have been fertile. However, since Kang is a vulgaris, the eggs will be tiny and the young planktonic, so it would be very difficult to raise the babies.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back