Kalypso (O.briareus)

Wow! She's just gorgeous! That webbing really gives such a graceful, balletic effect, doesn't it?

Memory cards do that. Or they enlist their close allies, batteries, to give up the ghost and spoil the vid...

That calupera is soooo tempting. It really does look terrific with Kalypso running around in it. So far, my attempts at turtle grass in the "gonna be" seahorse tank (maybe, unless I can't resist a Paradox/Thales cuttle - keep getting weaker) have not done well. I am going to leave it in for awhile yet but the urchins keep collecting it.

Don't do it!!! I sooooo wish I could keep a foxface or a tang in there. I pulled 90% of it out yesterday. If I could figure out how to keep it under control other than pruning it I would like it.

Still growing! Unfortunately I've taken on a new job with much longer hours so my schedule has changed, and apparently Kalypso's schedule has changed with it. I don't get to see her nearly as often as I had been, but she usually comes out to see me before I leave in the morning around 5:30am. On my days off I have to tease her out of her den with some food, otherwise she doesn't really come out much when I'm home.

I accidentally killed most of my fiddler stock. I was trying to find somewhere out of the way to store them. Ended up putting them on top of the tank behind the light, beside the fan. They were fine Friday. Saturday afternoon I went to grab one and the critter keeper was dry, and all the crabs dead. They couldn't have been dead long, didn't smell, and I'm sure at least most of them were running around as I heard their little feet scuttling about (should have realized the thing was dried out) when I was messing with the tank. I froze them so as to not waste them. Moral of the story... don't leave open top clear containers near light and wind if you want to keep them moist!

Alayna tells me she has seen Kalypso tinkering with the screen and tape a few times when I'm not around. A few nights ago I was feeding her and she decided she was more interested in my hand and where my hand came from. We seriously thought she was going to come over the side of the tank, Alayna was shouting, "Close it! Close it!" as Kalypso's arms are about halfway over the side and down the outside of the tank. So, as a precaution I got some velcro tape. I'm going to line the inside lip of the tank top with it to deter her from investigating too much more. Due to her curiosity and strength I'm pretty convinced I'm going to have to build a heavy frame to put around the top front and sides of the tank to support the screen and duct tape, not to mention it will just look much nicer.

Both Ollie and Mr. Octopus (both bimacs) came out of their tanks under supervision. After two times sitting on the edge of the tank and feeling around, Ollie was satisfied and never wanted to leave again.

I believe Mr. Octopus ended up on the carpet!

Nancy

You really have a gorgeous tank with all of that color and variety, and Kalypso is one pretty octopus. I feel better after reading your journal, especially since Doctor hasn't been spotted the last two days.
Animal Mother;110357 said:
So, until I find an octopus or a carcass I assume she is still alive and just hiding really well. Hopefully she didn't just crawl into a hole and die...
That is my same feeling, lol.
When you say "pods" that she searches around the rocks for, do you mean amphipods or copepods?

lexcanaves;116960 said:
You really have a gorgeous tank with all of that color and variety, and Kalypso is one pretty octopus. I feel better after reading your journal, especially since Doctor hasn't been spotted the last two days.
That is my same feeling, lol.
When you say "pods" that she searches around the rocks for, do you mean amphipods or copepods?

Yes, those kinda pods :smile:

I slowed down Kalypso's feedings as of the past 4 days for two reasons. For one, to try and slow down her growth rate. Second, to see more activity. I usually feed her within about 10 minutes of seeing her out roaming the tank, and then I usually don't see her again until she's hungry again. I have seen a change in her behavior coinciding with the change in her feeding schedule. She now comes out around 4pm and roams the tank scavenging through the rocks and trying to get my attention on the glass.

The downside, I am now acclimating my clam to the 140 gallon. I noticed it was flipped on its side this morning, so I reset it back to upright. As I was watching her move about the tank earlier, she straddled it. I walked up and spooked her away, and within a couple of minutes she returned and it was apparent her intent is to eat the clam as I reached in and she would not budge from it. I had to wrestle it out of her grip. She was not pleased and blew a thin cloud of ink at me, which dissipated in the water very quickly. Just enough to let me know she didn't like that at all but not enough for concern. So while getting my acclimation stuff together I kept an eye on her and she kept an eye on my clam, waiting for me to go away so she could have her way with it I imagine. If only the "leave it!" dog command worked on octos!

I threw in some krill pieces and they floated around and that was enough to distract her while I set up my acclimation station for the clam.

Funny thing. While I was watching her hunt around the tank, I noticed she attacks my Hydor Flo-deflector. I assume it's because of the motion.

AM,
I have notices several things about water movement and the octos that make me wonder if they equate "blowing" water to siphon warnings. All of mine will react negatively to a bulb of Cyclop-eeze forcefully blown into the tank and I have noticed a similar reaction to water forced though a turkey baster. However, I noticed 'Tane sitting strangely yesterday and realized that an urchin had stopped the spinning Hydor (sump return that alternates flow between two of these and they only spin when the water is directed through them) and 'Tane was letting it blow through his mantle. There was no question that the positioning was deliberate but the "exhaust" flow is not as direct or narrow as the pipettes or turkey baster.

PS I am surprised your clam has made it this long in the tank. Glad you got it out in time.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back