Kalypso (O.briareus)

Wish I could find your old post where you were concerned about touching your octo :sagrin: We'll get you back in the water with a snorkle and fins yet!

Rather proud of this picture.
IMG_1629.jpg

Time to clean out the refugium. Looks like it has become too packed with chaetomorpha and is trapping a bunch of junk. I trimmed the majority of the caulerpa back (again), a couple of days later and there's a few patches of hair algae popping up. So I decided to try my luck with a blue spotted sea hare. It's munching away currently. Kalypso didn't come out until after it had been released into the tank which was what I was hoping for. She did make contact with it on her way around the tank but she didn't seem to notice it or if she did it was of no interest.

I also added some sinularia and cladiella to the mix. All my softies are growing like mad.

After introducing the new inhabitants I stepped back to admire them and noticed a cloud of debris coming from behind a rock. It was like a smoke signal. This went on for about 3 minutes. It was Kalypso digging behind some rocks in the back of the tank. She's into EVERYTHING lately.

Pictures of the new stuff soon.

This is what she looked like when she realized I had been messing around in the tank. Out of her den and...
IMG_1673.jpg

The new soft corals (up front left and right).
IMG_1684.jpg

Blue spotted sea hare.
IMG_1724.jpg

Captain Morgan?
IMG_1689.jpg

Captain Morgan and the last shot are absolutely fantastic! That is an adorable seahare, I hope she doesn't eat it. Since hares are so different from other "slugs", maybe you have found something that can coexist and clean. I have never seen one like that. Do you know where it originates from?

Thanks D. My main concern with the sea hare is pump intakes, but so far Kalypso hasn't lost any arm tips in them so I think they're secured well enough to prevent any death by suction. From my understanding they're from Sulawesi.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back