Just who is this Cthulhu guy anyway?

Wow Monty, thanks for that link, that looks fabulous, I've just ordered my copy (luckily my DVD player is multi region). I like the idea of it being a silent movie as well.

Just saw this on the Fortean Times Website

R'yleh?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051002...20PLBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

or perhaps an email from Dr Steve should go there "Hey guys, I've got a project for that little piece of technology"

That Cthulhu Chick tract was specifically done by my friend Howard Hallis for the very first Mighty Cthulhu Old-Time Revival Show up at Burning Man 2002. It proved to be immensely popular as I spent a lot of the festival handing them out for my very first Cthulhu service that took place on the Esplanade right after the main burn.

Howard had this posted on his website for a while and it started getting ridiculous numbers of daily hits. About that time, Jack Chick's lawyers got ahold of it and started making a stink. As Howard had just grabbed original artwork by Mr. Chick and inserted his own dialogue, Lovecraftian quotes, other Cthulhu art he grabbed from the internet (funny, none of those other Cthulhu artists ever had any problem with it), etc., Chick's lawyers made him cease and desist, so he took it down off his website. A few other folks have since redrawn the art differently to give it more of a satire status legally, but by the time Chick's lawyers had gotten a hold of it so many people worldwide had downloaded it, put up copies on their own sites, emailed it friends, etc., that I doubt it will ever really stop circulating.

To Howard's legal credit, he fully complied with Mr. Chick's lawyers and has never put it up again, but like some sort of eldritch, gibbering, cyclopean Energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going and going...:cthulhu:

Well it's brilliant. I've done my bit in ensuring that it keeps being driven through the information superhighway as surely and inexorably as the Deep One blood flowing through my own veins.

Look to the sea... and the stars....

May, uh, Father Dagon and Mother Hydra bless (curse?) you for spreading this Cthulhoid cancer on, Capn Nemo. Glub! Glub!:cthulhu:

Howard could have totally fought the Chick legal assault on First Amendment grounds as legitimate satire, but didn't want to bother. Heck, he did that in about an hour and a half. Funny, talented guy.

Anyone heard of a band called H.p. lovecraft? i was browsing through a flea market and in a stall with all kinds of old vinvl and concert posters there was one for jefferson airplane at the filmore east... right below jefferson airplane was "H.P. Lovecraft"

any one heard their music? some how i doubt the writer came back to life after strange eons (ok 30 years) just to go to a concert...

there also was a somewhat beat up poster from a few years earlier stating the president and mrs. kennedy would be at the merchandise mart in dallas on Nov 22....

Yestaerday at the annual Ventura Boulevard street fair, some odd woman gave my mother the original Chick Tract that the Cthulist spoof was based on, obviously, the original was far more frightening.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back