• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just set up my dwarf octo tank.

Ok,

Is there any way you can delay getting your octopus? Your tank should really cycle for three months so that you can build up a healthy colony of bacteria to handle the waste that your octopus will generate. Do you have another tank already set up that you could house the octopus in temporarily while your tank cycles?

i cant delay the shipment but i have purple up will that help? and yea but it is a 45gallon reef i have 1 eel,2 clownfish,1damsis and ALOTS of coarls,.............even tho i think it would be hard 4 me to get him after in the reef tank so. anywayz i have alot of really alive rock and live black and white sand really nice dp u think i do be able to put him in the tank anyway?

tank balla;89345 said:
i cant delay the shipment but i have purple up will that help? and yea but it is a 45gallon reef i have 1 eel,2 clownfish,1damsis and ALOTS of coarls,.............even tho i think it would be hard 4 me to get him after in the reef tank so. anywayz i have alot of really alive rock and live black and white sand really nice dp u think i do be able to put him in the tank anyway?

What is purple up? It is not recommended that you put a delicate animal like an octopus into a tank before it is cycled. Have you tested for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia? You are going to have to watch water parameters carefully. You may have to do frequent water changes.

right now i am in skool but when i get home i will test the water but puprle up is a colony booster mainly use for reef tank but i think it will work

Purple Up is a coralline algae booster, it is not going to help with the growth of bacteria, which is what you need to control the waste in your system. Cycling the tank for three months lets the bacteria that you need grow and multiply. You will need to do frequent water changes and if you haven't yet, get a protein skimmer. You are going to need it.