Just got a call cuttle came into vegas....... help

stits

Blue Ring
Registered
Okay, well after getting rid of the huge female bimac I have been looking for one and well...... look I have no clue on that species and I need help to identify it...its about 3 inches long. They said it was from Asia and need warm water and it was in a tank @ 80 in the store

no idea from the pic, once it settles in we may have more luck on IDing it... Hope it's not bandensis but that will be easy to ID.

Was it a special order or lucky find?

Thats really lucky, I thinks its either a Bandensis or a real small Latimanus, maybe you could give us a few more pics so we can id it for you. Fyi, one this size is extremely greedy, feed it about 2 1inch shrimps twice a day. You can play tug of war with it by putting a stick near its arms :wink:

Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

I have yet to see it eating......but its alive, running around and changing colors. I have a few shrimp in the tank right now and crabs ect.......what would you guys recommend.

Let it explore its environment first, once he settles down and feels comfortable, he will start eating. Maybe it just hasn't seen the prey, are they in the open or hiding? Any prominent markings on the cuttle? And how big is ur tank again?

joel_ang said:
Let it explore its environment first, once he settles down and feels comfortable, he will start eating. Maybe it just hasn't seen the prey, are they in the open or hiding? Any prominent markings on the cuttle? And how big is ur tank again?

50 gallon, a few shrimp, crabs both large and small with a few snails.

crabs and shrimps really work well with cuttles but not hermits. Make sure you have a good source of carbon on standby just incase it inks... much worse than an octo of similar size

wow, how did you manage to get a cuttle in the us?
i spent a long time trying and the closest i got was lfs offered to order one but i had to pay over $100 in advance weather it came in alive or not
i finally gave up and went back to an octo

i know the nrcc breeds them but they do not sell to the public, other than that i do not believe anybody else does

Dammit, well got home last night the animal had been eating ect but well........now it was dead. He was just too stressed from shipping I guess.

that's par for the course I think...

Its unfortunate but that's the reason why they are so rare to find in shops in the USA... it's a difficult thing to do but please think twice before spending your cash on another one. For that one, there may have been many more that had already died to get this far, that's a wastes of cuttle's lives too...

Octopets was planning on breeding officinalis soon, but i have heard no word on that yet... you all better get saving for your 200gal plus tanks LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back