• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

just caught this octopus -what species is it? Can I safely keep it in a tank overnight?

Greetings, We caught this octopus in biscayne bay just off the Atlantic Ocean in Miami Beach, Florida, USA. I want to keep it overnight to show my kids and then release it tomorrow. I have it in a tank with ocean water and some rocks. What else do I need? I plan on releasing it tomorrow afternoon. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 198
oh boy - good luck, please keep us posted on this project! I hope you'll get some expert input soon, but the problem with this project is, it's not a property cycled tank (months) and we're not sure of its current or prior contents (e.g., was there ever any copper in it? etc. etc) - I'm no expert... I don't imagine ONE NIGHT will be an issue but I simply don't know the facts on this... hopefully some educated feedback is on the way.

Do let us know how this works out. Thanks for sharing!

oh boy - good luck, please keep us posted on this project! I hope you'll get some expert input soon, but the problem with this project is, it's not a property cycled tank (months) and we're not sure of its current or prior contents (e.g., was there ever any copper in it? etc. etc) - I'm no expert... I don't imagine ONE NIGHT will be an issue but I simply don't know the facts on this... hopefully some educated feedback is on the way.

Do let us know how this works out. Thanks for sharing!
Edit DWhatley: included video from Media

Attachments

• 2D28C2E0-80F4-4714-BA52-724981FBE16C.MOV
    22.8 MB · Views: 229
Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back